3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2010 5:15 PM by Bob Timmons
bug67 Level 3 Level 3 (980 points)
So, I go through the APE set-up and a message pops up saying wait while the base station restarts. The base station restarts with a green light. All machines are able to get on the wireless network i just created but...

The little wheel just spins. eventually there's a message saying there has been an error and the APE cannot connect to the network. But, it IS connected to the network. I just can't get it to show up in the AirPort utility so I can configure unless I do a hard reset and start all over.

Help?

EDIT:

AirPort Utility Version: 5.5.1 (551.19)
AirPort Extreme: Simultaneous dual-band 802.11n

Message was edited by: bug67

PowerPC G5; PowerBook G4; Dell XPS 400; HP dv8t; Compaq Presario V3020, Other OS, OS X 10.5.8; Windows 7; Linux Mint 10 (Julia)
  • Bob Timmons Level 10 Level 10 (87,030 points)
    Once you hit update to save your settings using AirPort Utility, close AirPort Utility as soon as you see the message that the settings have been stored.

Wait for the AirPort Extreme to restart and you see a green light.

Click the fan shaped AirPort icon at the top of the screen and log on to the "new" network that you just created and named.

Now open AirPort Utility and see if you can "see" the AirPort Extreme.

You won't have this kind of "lost" problem if you temporarily connect an ethernet cable from your computer to one of the LAN <-> ports on the AirPort Extreme to configure it. Disconnect the ethernet cable once you have the device set up.

Message was edited by: Bob Timmons

Message was edited by: Bob Timmons
  • bug67 Level 3 Level 3 (980 points)
    That did it.

Any idea how I can get the utility to "find" my AirPort Express now?

I had an old Hershey Kiss AirPort Base Station and everything was working fine. Haven't had to configure anything in years. Now, I just got the new Extreme today and my Express cant be "seen." :/

Like I said, I haven't had to actually configure this stuff in a long, long time. Thanks.
  • Bob Timmons Level 10 Level 10 (87,030 points)
    You'll need to "hard reset" the Express by holding in the reset button until you see the amber light blink more quickly. Hold another second or two when you see this and then release.

You can use wireless to configure the Express, or temporarily connect an ethernet cable to the device from your computer. If you configure the Express to "join" or "extend" the wireless network, it will "disappear" from AirPort Utility when you click Update because the Express has switched networks over to the new settings that you entered.