Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost files after sync

I just backed up my phone, updated the OS and thought everything was back to normal. It said I could eject the device so I did, then I noticed all of the contacts and photos were gone. When I plugged the device back in it started to automatically sync again, which I was not able to stop. I am afraid that I lost the backup file with the photos and contacts because of the second sync. Is there any way to get these files back?

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 9:58 PM

4 replies

Dec 16, 2010 12:45 AM in response to DSH198

Welcome to the discussions,
you can get your contacts and photos taken with the camera back, if you have a backup of your backup folder is located here:
Where backups are stored
The folder where your backup data is stored changes depending on the computer's operating system. Since iTunes only keeps one backup per device, you should ensure the backup folder is included in your periodic data backup routine.
iTunes places the backup files in the following places:
Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
Windows Vista and Windows 7: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

copied from: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766
If you did not include this folder in your computer backup routine, you'll not be able to get the data back.
You can deactivate the autosync feature in iTunes/Settings/Devices

Dec 16, 2010 8:13 AM in response to DSH198

DSH198 wrote:
Thanks. I checked there, but it appears the backup file was overwritten the when it auto synced the second time. I guess that means I probably lost everything.

Yes, if you don't have a backup of your iphone backup folder somewhere else, for example where all your other backup data is stored, you have to start all over again.

Lost files after sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.