Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted OS X Pictures Folder using Terminal, How do you recreate?

Deleted Pictures folder using Terminal command "sudo rm -rf ~/Pictures" or "sudo rm -rf ~/.Pictures".
I deleted it because the folder wasn't being recognized by iTunes iPhone Photo sync. I could just make a Pictures folder in the home folder but I would rather have the OS X Pictures folder back. I did't loose any photos because I moved them to another folder on my Desktop.

Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 11:41 PM

10 replies

Dec 16, 2010 9:27 AM in response to roam

I did that and it did give me the icon, but I an still able to delete it by dragging it to the Trash which means it isn't the OS folder. If it's any folder besides the Pictures folder iTunes will sync up my pictures to my phone but when I use the Home folders Pictures folder this error message displays "The iPhone "_" cannot be synced. The required file cannot be found." The underscore is just the name of my iPhone. This problem was occurring before I had done this to my Pictures folder, and I had deleted it to try to solve this problem because I though it was a permissions error similar to the .Trash problem.

Dec 16, 2010 10:03 AM in response to Heavyrifleman

Heavyrifleman wrote:
I did that and it did give me the icon, but I an still able to delete it by dragging it to the Trash which means it isn't the OS folder.

A folder is a folder--there is nothing special about it. However, since you created it, it is missing is the ACL to prevent deletion. In the Terminal copy and paste this command:
chmod +a "group:everyone deny delete" ~/Pictures

Dec 16, 2010 10:05 AM in response to Heavyrifleman

Apple decided to keep people from accidently Trashing their pictures/iPhoto library by slapping a completely unnecessary access control list entry onto the default folders in the Home folder. All it does is deny you the ability to trash those default folders should you wish. Simply creating a folder and naming it Pictures is all you really need to do. And you can then trash that folder easily instead of needing to use the Terminal, because there is no ACL entry on it. Don't know what the sync problem is, but it has nothing to do with your recreated Pictures folder.
Francine

User uploaded file
Francine
Schwieder

Deleted OS X Pictures Folder using Terminal, How do you recreate?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.