Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini server - will not take 4GB so-dimm in bank 0

Hello,

Memory works ok as long as the old 2gb 1066 so-dimm is in bank 0.
Switching the dimms around is no go. It seems to need that bank 0 populated with an old 2gb.

I can use only one 2gb and one 4gb for the mini server to boot.

It seems to have a hard time figuring out the 2x4gb configuration.

Tried PRAM and NVRAM reset. Always getting 3 beeps.

Any chance of getting the full 8gb detected?

Mac OS X (10.6.5), Mac mini server 2010

Posted on Dec 16, 2010 3:55 AM

16 replies

Jan 18, 2011 9:26 AM in response to David Clark 2

Depending on where you bought the Mac Mini you could be covered under law to have a system that is fit for purpose and free from defects. In the UK you could use the Sales of Goods Act.

But in any case if there is more people that have the problem then contact Apple Care and explain what you have found they may be able to help track down the problem after all a very small % of equipment can have faults.

Feb 20, 2012 3:05 AM in response to basilmir

Hi All,

I had the same problem that you, I had a mac mini server late 2009 with 10.7.3 OS X, with 4 GB of memory.

I have got these two memories on amazon:

"8Go mémoire - Kit double canal SAMSUNG original 2 x 4 Go 204 broches DDR3-1066 PC3-8500 SO-DIMM (2x M471B5273BH1-CF8) mémoire portable ordinateur DD"

First test to install in the mac mini:

Slot 0 - 4 GB

Slot 1 - 4 GB

3 beeps 😟

2nd test

Slot 0 -

Slot 1 - 4 GB

OK

3rd Test:

Slot 0 - 4 GB

Slot 1 - 1 GB

3 beeps 😟

4th Test:

1 - 1 GB

2 - 4 GB

OK

5th test:

reset PMU

Slot 0 - 4 GB

Slot 1 - 4 GB

3 bips 😟

6th Test:

I did a test of the 2x4 GB in a mac mini 2010

OK

7th test:

Slot 0 - 2 GB

Slot 1 - 4 GB

OK

After to read this forum I gave up and I decided to let the mac mini with 6 GB. Well, as I wanted to try it again one last time, I tried to put the slot 0 memory forcing a bit. But I did not noticed nothing special.

Well, at this last time, it works. 8 GB in the mac mini server

here some screenshots:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I hope this info will help you to resolve this problem. But seriously, I am not giving you nothing else than hope 😀

Oct 14, 2012 7:51 PM in response to ttuuxxeerr

I to had an Mac Mini Server ( Mid 2010 ) that would not take a 4GB in Bank 0 ( the bottom bank )

Originally was

Bank 0: 2GB

Bank 1: 2GB

1st try

Bank 0: 4GB

Bank 1: 4GB

No boot, slow beeping.

2nd try

Bank 1:

No boot, slow beeping.

3rd try

Bank 0:

Booted

I then came across this thread

Applied the 'Mac mini (Mid 2010) EFI Firmware Update 1.5' - http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1479

After the update ran 'sudo nvram -c' in terminal

Installed a 2GB into Bank 0

4th try

Bank 0: 2GB

Boot PRAM reset ( Option + Command + P + R ) once

Booted the Mac OS X, Checked the installed ram in system profiler, Then shutdown.

5th try

Boot PRAM reset ( Option + Command + P + R ) once

Booted the Mac OS X, Checked the installed ram in system profiler, Then shutdown.

All good now 😀

Have another Mac Mini Server ( Mid 2010 ) to do , I hope it goes well.

I will post the results of the second one!

Nov 7, 2012 4:56 PM in response to basilmir

That can not be the cause in my case and most likely many others.

As the memory I was is 1066. I confirmed this by installing them into a pc laptop and using cpu-z and the SPD table list the maximum speed as 533mhz.

And that both ttuuxxeerr and myself had problems with 2x 4GB in the mac mini and finally got it to work.

Also as for the other mac mini server I upgraded.

The firmware had already been updated.

Before shutting down the mac mini for the upgrade I ran 'sudo nvram -c' in terminal.

Rebooted, Did a single PRAM reset and forced power off by holding in the power button before it booted again.

Installed the ram upgrade, then powered back up, Did a single PRAM reset.

BINGO IT BOOTED FIRST TIME 😀

But Yes I do agree buy quality ram with a lifetime warranty ( if the manufacturer does not trust the quality of their product why should you ).

And buy the correct speed, Although higher spec should and usually does work. Some mac's are very fussy and if the matching speed for that model have not been programmed into the ram's spd table it will not work no matter what you do.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.