Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme on Separate Ethernet Cable to FIOS Modem

I want to extend my wireless network in my house. The iMac is connected directly to the FIOS modem and I want to run another ethernet cable from that modem to an AirPort Extreme (which would connect to an external hard drive in another room).

For some reason the AirPort Utility is not recognizing the AirPort Extreme even though it is wired into the ethernet network.

iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 16, 2010 9:15 AM

5 replies

Dec 18, 2010 1:27 PM in response to James A. Weston

Yes I initially set up the Airport Extreme between my Verizon Fios modem and my iMac. That worked. However I wanted to use the Airport Extreme within the range of my wireless Verizon Fios modem and away from the iMac, essentially as a bridge and extender. That way I could put the external hard drives and/or printer in another room.

Will this work?

Thanks!

Dec 19, 2010 6:42 AM in response to BassoTim

If your FIOS modem is a full-fledged wireless router as well as a modem it should work, but you may not be happy with the wireless throughput. It would be much better to connect the AirPort Extreme to the FIOS modem by Ethernet cable, however long it might be.

You may have to hire a cable guy or gal to do the job, but it may be worth it.

To configure your AirPort Extreme, you should temporarily connect your computer directly to the AirPort Extreme by Ethernet cable.

Airport Extreme on Separate Ethernet Cable to FIOS Modem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.