Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Necessity of RAW conversion

Excuse the naivete of the question which follows, but I am new to digital photography. When I import photos from my Nikon DSLR, is it necessary to convert the files from .NEF files to .TIFF or another format? Or, can they be left as .NEF files? I have been leaving the files as raw .NEF files, and only creating JPEGs for export. Thanks for your help!

Mac Pro

Posted on Dec 16, 2010 4:21 PM

5 replies

Dec 16, 2010 5:05 PM in response to Berwynman

Hi Berwynman,
Welcome to Aperture forum. Be aware these forums are user helping user, Apple does not post here.

First off are you speaking about Aperture or NEF in general? If it is NEF in general outside of Aperture there are other sites you should ask your question.

If it is regarding the manner Aperture handles the NEF you have the option to save the file in other formats; the NEF remains the same it is not touched, sometimes referred to as non-distructive editing.

For others to see your image it will need to be converted to another file type. NEF is not a photo it is data only (keeping this simple). Only folks having a NEF raw converter will be able to see the NEF file.

Your camera cannot display the NEF. As you shoot NEF your camera cannot display it on the LCD, that which you see is the camera taking the NEF converting it into a viewable file, JPG, for viewing on the LCD.

So yes, save the file as a JPG for export life will be good. Years ago I quit shooting NEF, now I shoot 99.999% JPG.

Folks, flaming me is not needed.

Cordially,

RicD

Dec 17, 2010 2:32 PM in response to Berwynman

Hi Berwynman,
The advantage of TIFF is it is a lossless format, working on the file information is not lost. Disadvantages is much larger file size. At one time digital cameras provided a choice to save as TIFF, I am not sure many now do.

JPG is a lossy, as you work on a file then save it data is lost. Many test have been accomplished that show after numerous saves not much is lost, other test show pixilation. Myself I work in JPG format, with sRGB.

You say that which you are now doing works just fine, then I would stick with. Doing a Web search for TIFF vs JPG produces over eight million articles.

Hope the above information assists you.

Cordially,

RicD

Necessity of RAW conversion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.