Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pandora dropout using airplay

when I use airplay to stream Pandora to apple tv from iPad I'm getting sound dropout. Pandora works fine on iPad. Getting a strong WI-FI signal from airport extreme dual band. All apple apps work fine. Is anyone experiencing the same problem. Thanks.

iMac 27" 3.06 intel core 2 duo, Mac OS X (10.6.5), Airport extreme dual band

Posted on Dec 16, 2010 7:30 PM

6 replies

Dec 16, 2010 8:30 PM in response to Jrroz

Hi and welcome.....

when I use airplay to stream Pandora to apple tv from iPad I'm getting sound dropout.

Tap Pandora to start the app then double tap the Home button on your iPad. All the apps you have running in the background will appear at the bottom of the screen.

Could be one of the apps that's causing the audio to dropout when streaming to the AppleTV. Also, check your Pandora audio controls by swiping the apps at the bottom of the screen to the right.

Carolyn 🙂

Dec 17, 2010 4:29 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn, I thank you for taking the time to reply to my problem. Today Apple had firmware updates for airport utility (5.5.2) and for airport extreme (7.5.2) and want's I did the updates the problem was gone.
Pandora with airplay works perfect.
But I did learn to shut off all running apps. I thank you again. Have a great evening.

Jan 7, 2011 3:58 PM in response to Jrroz

Hi,
I have the exact same problem that you did. When I use the iPad in our family room where the TV and stereo are, Pandora often drops out for a few seconds. Sometimes it actually drops off and stays off, and when I swipe to se the settings, I can see that Airplay is no longer pointed to Apple TV, but has reverted to the iPad, even tho no audio is being played. (Pandora reverts to pause when this occurs.)

I checked that I had the latest version of Airplay, and upgraded my Airport Express firmware, which got me all psyched that you had pointed me to the Ultimate solution. Then I reset my iPad network settings, just to put the icing on the cake... But, alas, I stil get those cursed dropouts.

Our family room is only 40 or 45 feet away from the Airport Express router, so I should be getting great reception... However, I only get 2 bars there. My Apple TV works perfectly however, as far as streaming videos and playing it's built-in radio channels. If I put the iPad closer to the router ( in the dining room for example), then Pandora plays perfectly. But I can't sit in the room with the stereo, play Pandora and surf the Net without getting intermittent music.

Shouldn't the Airport Express deliver rock solid reception 45 feet away? Is the fact that I get 2 bars of reception the reason why Pandora craps out? I think it must be, since when the iPad gets 3 bars in the dining room, it works perfectly.

Anybody got a good idea how to fix this?

Thanks!

Jan 14, 2011 1:07 PM in response to amazer

The main reason dropouts happen is that there is not enough wifi bandwith, either from your ipad to the router, or from the router to ATV, or both. I don't rule out the possibility of some ipad software problem, because it seems to work better from a laptop to ATV.

I had the same problem before, until I did a complete upgrade of my home wifi. You may want to try connecting the ATV to the router with a direct connection. I think ethernet works well within a 100 feet.

You may also want to measure the bandwidth of your wifi. You can download a free app (called speedtest, I think) to your ipad. You want to have at least 10M bps. Streaming Netflix HD movies will need at least 15M bps. This may also be limited by the kind of internet service you have.

Not sure if your Airport Express is a 11n router or if it has dual bands. If it does, you can also try the connection with each of the 2.4GZ or 5GH network and to use the one performs better. Or you can even put your iPad in one network and ATV in the other. Also, be sure to turn off other non 11n (such as 11g) devices, as they tend to drag down the whole wifi.

What I ended up with was to get a wifi bridge (Netgear WNHD3004, if you are interested) in addition to another dual band 11n router. Now I am consistently getting 20Mbps with them. YMMV.

Good luck.

Feb 10, 2011 8:53 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

I have the same problem but I don't have any router make by apple, neither extreme or express, any other though about this issue. I reinstall the app 'pandora', turn off all the open apps, check in setting changed my atv2 from wireless to wired network, I really do not known what else to do, if someone have an idea I will really appreciate. Thanks.

Best regards
Juan C. Cruz

Pandora dropout using airplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.