Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use old APEBS as extention?

I recently upgraded to a new AirPort Extreme (802.11g/n) from the old teardrop style (a/b?) AirPort Extreme. BTW, thanks to Bob Timmons for the help.

What I'd like to know is if I can use the old one as an extender to boost the range of the new g/n network.

I'd like to use the new one to run a network drive and the old one to run a network printer/range extender. Possible?

Message was edited by: bug67

PowerPC G5; PowerBook G4; Dell XPS 400; HP dv8t; Compaq Presario V3020, Other OS, OS X 10.5.8; Windows 7; Linux Mint 10 (Julia)

Posted on Dec 17, 2010 12:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2010 6:12 AM

It's possible, but unfortunately, you'll lose the performance (and more) that you gained with the new AirPort Extreme.

You'll have to use an older WDS technology to link the devices. The setup only works on "g" wireless, so you will lose all of the "n" speeds on the new AirPort Extreme if you do this. In addition, the bandwidth will be cut by 50%...a huge penalty. In effect, overall you'll have a "g" wireless network that operates at half of its capability.

Unfortunately, other than a bit more wireless coverage, you'll have a significant performance drop with this setup. I'm not recommending this, but will provide instructions on the setup if you want them.

The correct way to do this would be to establish an ethernet connection between the new and old AirPort Extreme by either using an ethernet cable or powerline adapters to provide the signal. If you have this capability, this would be the way to do what you want to accomplish without the stiff sacrifices of the WDS arrangement.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2010 6:12 AM in response to bug67

It's possible, but unfortunately, you'll lose the performance (and more) that you gained with the new AirPort Extreme.

You'll have to use an older WDS technology to link the devices. The setup only works on "g" wireless, so you will lose all of the "n" speeds on the new AirPort Extreme if you do this. In addition, the bandwidth will be cut by 50%...a huge penalty. In effect, overall you'll have a "g" wireless network that operates at half of its capability.

Unfortunately, other than a bit more wireless coverage, you'll have a significant performance drop with this setup. I'm not recommending this, but will provide instructions on the setup if you want them.

The correct way to do this would be to establish an ethernet connection between the new and old AirPort Extreme by either using an ethernet cable or powerline adapters to provide the signal. If you have this capability, this would be the way to do what you want to accomplish without the stiff sacrifices of the WDS arrangement.

Use old APEBS as extention?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.