Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Managing iTunes library

Hi. I would like to let iTunes manage my music library and folder structure. As such, I have the two boxes ticked for these settings in iTunes:

- Keep iTunes music folder organized
- Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library

However, I'd like to be able to manage and store my movies (m4v format) outside of the default iTunes media library and folder structure. I would like to manage my own folder structure for movies, with links in iTunes that point to the folders.

Is there a way to let iTunes manage my music but to manage movies on my own? Thx

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 17, 2010 8:48 AM

2 replies

Dec 17, 2010 9:05 AM in response to pomme4moi

pomme4moi wrote:
I have the two boxes ticked for these settings in iTunes:

- *Keep iTunes music folder organized*
- *Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library*

I would like to manage my own folder structure for movies, with links in iTunes that point to the folders.
Is there a way to let iTunes manage my music but to manage movies on my own?

yes, piece of cake.

leave everything as it is and put your movie files where and how you want them. then, hold the option key while dragging the movies into an open iTunes window.

iTunes will index the path to the location of the original files but won't copy them physically into the iTunes media folder.

if you choose to keep the movies (or any other content you add this way) on an external HD, make sure the external is mounted on your desktop before you launch iTunes if you want to play that content.

J GG

User uploaded file

Managing iTunes library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.