Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does iPhoto references Facebook photos

Just wondering, I have many Facebook albums that I uploaded using Facebook online

I have just synced my account with iPhoto and its downloading all of my Facebook albums to my library

Is it actually making copies of the files to my library, or just referencing the photos from Facebook, because I really don't want it to download copies to my library

Cheers

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.5), None

Posted on Dec 18, 2010 3:36 AM

4 replies

Jan 2, 2011 9:40 AM in response to andy.lawrence

Answer, please? ...Anyone?

I'm about to do the "delete your facebook profile in iphoto to prevent iphoto erasing your albums on facebook" workaround and got this error message:

"104 albums will be removed from your iPhoto library. They will still be visible on Facebook. Photos downloaded from Facebook that have not been imported will be moved to the iPhoto trash unless you choose to import them." ...along with a checkbox option that reads "Import photos to your library before deleting this account."

This is, of course, completely ***-backwards functionality.

Why would I download resized photos from FB to my library when the full-size originals should remain in their albums where I originally put them? The fact that I uploaded an album to FB should have NO EFFECT on their status within iPhoto!

<Edited by Host>

Jan 3, 2011 8:18 AM in response to FBC_21CA

I have a very similar question. I have pictures on facebook that I uploaded a while ago NOT using iPhoto. But, I also have those same photos in iPhoto. So I want to change the references in that iphoto facebook album to reference the higher quality photos in iPhoto, and not the lower quality facebook ones they take from the facebook rss photo feed. I also want these newly reference iphoto photos to have all the same comments and fb "likes" the other pics had. Does any one know of a way to do this?

Also, in reply to your quote you gave, it makes sense that iphoto would ask you to import those facebook pictures because it doesn't think you have them in your iPhoto library. but the first two sentences make no sense whatsoever and i'm kind of confused on why it would delete 104 albums from your "iPhoto library" unless they are talking about the facebook albums in your library. then it would make sense.

Oct 6, 2013 11:18 PM in response to andy.lawrence

I'm having the exact same issue as FBC_21CA (the 1st response to andy.lawrence). I want to remove my Facebook account from iPhoto but the confusing warning message has me completely stumped.

As I've learned from reading a heap of forum posts on this topic, I too am a Facebook/iPhoto album upload user who did not realise the convenient upload function meant permanent syncing between the two.

In January this year [2013], when I unwittingly started making a mess of my FB albums by deleting pictures from my iPhoto library, I stopped using iPhoto to upload pics to FB. Well, I THOUGHT I did, which I've only just NOW realised was still happening! What I started doing to "get around it" (so I thought) was copying/dragging pictures from iPhoto to Finder (my desktop) then opening my FB account > upload new pics > browse to image location, etc. Perhaps stupidly on my part, I never thought to investigate the "WEB" sidebar menu item in iPhoto, which is where I've just found all the "Facebook Albums" that were being created 'behind my back'.

It was only today I looked into this again because I was editing some image descriptions on a Facebook Page (totally unrelated to my personal FB profile) that I manage and noticed a bunch of pics had the description "posted". This is a note-to-self I write in the image description field in iPhoto so I know which images I have published on my website (a Tumblr) versus those I have not. What!?!

Note: Every picture I've uploaded to my FB PAGE has been done using my same "workaround" (which actually didn't work) mentioned above. That is, copying/dragging pictures from iPhoto to Finder (my desktop) then opening my FB account > upload new pics > browse to image location, etc.

So now that this annoying sync function is screwing with my work-related photo albums (on my FB Page), something finally had to be done. I researched the forums and found this post from "jackiefromport hope" - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3514110 - which explained how to unsync iphoto and facebook. BUT when I go to do that, I get:

Are you sure you want to remove [your] Facebook account?

54 albums will be removed from your iPhoto library. They will still be visible on Facebook. Photos downloaded from Facebook that have not been imported will be moved to the iPhoto trash unless you choose to import them.

QUESTIONS:

• Is this going to remove the original, high res images or just the "Facebook Albums" I discovered today under the "WEB" menu in iPhoto's left sidebar?
  • Why would they still be preserved on FB? I don't want that either but if anything they should be preserved in their original location (iPhoto). NB: These are all pics I've taken on my iPhone and imported directly to iPhoto.
  • Re: "Photos downloaded from Facebook that have not been imported will be moved to the iPhoto trash unless you choose to import them." I don't want to download ANYTHING from FB. I already have the images in iPhoto. Will proceeding with the unsync create hundreds of duplicates?

Please help.

How does iPhoto references Facebook photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.