Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Color code incoming emails

in outlook you can chose to color incoming emails..any way to do that in macland?

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5), iPhone 4

Posted on Dec 18, 2010 2:51 PM

8 replies

Dec 18, 2010 4:03 PM in response to Matt Clifton

Matt Clifton wrote:
Sure - in Apple Mail you set a rule. Mail menu - Preferences - Rules. Set whatever criteria you want (eg, sender is in address book) and then the action (set color to blue).

Matt

i think you may have misunderstood what i am trying to do.. when i get a mail if its about something financial (sender and subject could vary) but if its about finance i want to be able to highlight green.. etc

Dec 18, 2010 4:26 PM in response to TMLNYC

TMLNYC wrote:
Matt Clifton wrote:
Sure - in Apple Mail you set a rule. Mail menu - Preferences - Rules. Set whatever criteria you want (eg, sender is in address book) and then the action (set color to blue).

Matt

i think you may have misunderstood what i am trying to do.. when i get a mail if its about something financial (sender and subject could vary) but if its about finance i want to be able to highlight green.. etc

I don't think Matt misunderstood you at all. If you want to color an incoming email green set up a rule based on your criteria. eg if the subject contains specific words (finance for example) color the email green. How are rules done differently in Outlook? I use Outlook and find the rule criteria to be similar. How is your finance rule set up in Outlook?

Dec 18, 2010 4:35 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

BobTheFisherman wrote:
TMLNYC wrote:
Matt Clifton wrote:

Matt

I don't think Matt misunderstood you at all. If you want to color an incoming email green set up a rule based on your criteria. eg if the subject contains specific words (finance for example) color the email green. How are rules done differently in Outlook? I use Outlook and find the rule criteria to be similar. How is your finance rule set up in Outlook?

Ugh LOL... its not a rule in outlook.. obviously i dont use OTL anymore but i know i could right click on the mail in my box and chose a highlight color

Dec 18, 2010 4:49 PM in response to TMLNYC

We're not talking about coloring each message individually.

Let's go over it slowly again. In Mail, go to the Mail menu. Then Preferences, then Rules.
Click Add Rule. Give it a description (eg "Finance"). Set the "If" rule (the criteria) as (eg)

If any of the following conditions are met:
Message Contains "finance"
Perform the following actions:
Set color of message - of background - blue.

Click OK. Make sure it's active (there's a tick next to it). You'll be asked if you want to apply the rule to all current inbox mail. Whether you do or not, it'll apply to all new mail received.

Make sense?

Matt

Color code incoming emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.