Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes "Royalty free music"

Hi to all,

i just want an opinion on the following subject:

I am building an iPhone application that at some point will have to play a song. I saw here
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/royalty-free-music-various/id382221350

that these songs are "Royalty Free" songs. Is that indeed the case ? I mean, can i buy and then use one song of that list so to be used from my (paid) iPhone application??

Thanks a lot for any help !

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 19, 2010 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2010 7:16 AM

I would suggest buying directly from one of the several stock music sources (just do a web search for "royalty free music"). Those sites make their licensing terms completely clear, so you'll have no doubts about being licensed to use the track in a app, and you would be free of any possible issues with the iTunes Store terms of use which have no exemption from the clause in their Terms of Sale that prohibit use of tracks for anything other than personal use.

Regards.
13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2010 7:16 AM in response to objectref

I would suggest buying directly from one of the several stock music sources (just do a web search for "royalty free music"). Those sites make their licensing terms completely clear, so you'll have no doubts about being licensed to use the track in a app, and you would be free of any possible issues with the iTunes Store terms of use which have no exemption from the clause in their Terms of Sale that prohibit use of tracks for anything other than personal use.

Regards.

Dec 20, 2010 7:27 AM in response to varjak paw

Hey Dave,

i already know about these sites (with "royalty free music"), in fact, i have purchased some songs from these. It's just that it is not always easy to find some particular song(s)-rythms(s) there and if you do, the price difference (compared to iTunes) is huge...

But i will do as you tell me, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the help!

Dec 20, 2010 8:54 AM in response to objectref

Since there is no detail as to what their license allows, and since as I said above the iTunes Store terms of sale say that all purchases are for personal use only with no commercial use allowed no exception I can find for tracks that are titled as "royalty free", I would strongly suggest that you not use anything purchased from the iTunes Store in your app; it could cause Apple to reject that app when you submit it for sale. I can't find any other web site for that particular music that states a clear license either, though Chris may have found something I haven't.

Again, I really recommend that you go to one of the many sites that offer royalty-free music and that provide clear license terms. You may pay more, but you get a valid license that you can, if requested, show Apple to provide that you have cleared the music for use in your app or should any other questions arise.

Regards.

iTunes "Royalty free music"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.