This discussion is archived

iTunes "Royalty free music"

3837 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2011 1:55 AM by objectref RSS
objectref Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 19, 2010 9:38 AM
Hi to all,

i just want an opinion on the following subject:

I am building an iPhone application that at some point will have to play a song. I saw here
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/royalty-free-music-various/id382221350

that these songs are "Royalty Free" songs. Is that indeed the case ? I mean, can i buy and then use one song of that list so to be used from my (paid) iPhone application??

Thanks a lot for any help !
MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)
  • varjak paw Level 10 Level 10 (167,575 points)
    Dec 20, 2010 7:16 AM (in response to objectref)
    I would suggest buying directly from one of the several stock music sources (just do a web search for "royalty free music"). Those sites make their licensing terms completely clear, so you'll have no doubts about being licensed to use the track in a app, and you would be free of any possible issues with the iTunes Store terms of use which have no exemption from the clause in their Terms of Sale that prohibit use of tracks for anything other than personal use.

Regards.
    iMac Core i7 8GB ATI Radeon 4850, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Also: iMac 2.8 Core 2 Duo 24", IPad 16GB WiFi, Dell w/ Windows 7, Win XP via VM
  • Chris CA Level 9 Level 9 (73,485 points)
    Dec 20, 2010 8:22 AM (in response to objectref)
    The specific album you pointed to is available at many other online sites. 99 cents per song or $9.99 for the entire album.
    Mac mini (mid 2010) - 2 GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.5), silver mini, blue mini, green shuffle, iTunes 10.1.1, 32GB wifi iPad
    Dec 20, 2010 8:39 AM (in response to objectref)
    The entire album (as titled) is royalty free regardless of where you purchase it.
    I just googled "royalty free music" and one of the song titles (I don't have iTunes here so I cannot see what the song titles are to look it up).

I also googled the label (as shown in iTunes) and went to their website.
    Mac mini (mid 2010) - 2 GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.5), silver mini, blue mini, green shuffle, iTunes 10.1.1, 32GB wifi iPad
  • varjak paw Level 10 Level 10 (167,575 points)
    Dec 20, 2010 8:54 AM (in response to objectref)
    Since there is no detail as to what their license allows, and since as I said above the iTunes Store terms of sale say that all purchases are for personal use only with no commercial use allowed no exception I can find for tracks that are titled as "royalty free", I would strongly suggest that you not use anything purchased from the iTunes Store in your app; it could cause Apple to reject that app when you submit it for sale. I can't find any other web site for that particular music that states a clear license either, though Chris may have found something I haven't.

Again, I really recommend that you go to one of the many sites that offer royalty-free music and that provide clear license terms. You may pay more, but you get a valid license that you can, if requested, show Apple to provide that you have cleared the music for use in your app or should any other questions arise.

Regards.
    iMac Core i7 8GB ATI Radeon 4850, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Also: iMac 2.8 Core 2 Duo 24", IPad 16GB WiFi, Dell w/ Windows 7, Win XP via VM
    Dec 20, 2010 9:08 AM (in response to objectref)
    What Dave said...
  • jackydee Calculating status...
    Dec 21, 2010 5:21 AM (in response to objectref)
    "can i buy and then use one song of that list so to be used from my (paid) iPhone application?"
    A site like http://stockmusicboutique.com allows you to buy a track once and use it over and over for any commercial or non commercial project.
    Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • Eugen M. Calculating status...
    Jan 2, 2011 11:47 PM (in response to objectref)
    Yes > http://www.neosounds.com/ < is what you need.
    iMac - Late 2009 - 21,5", Mac OS X (10.6.4), Core Innovation.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.