Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help password stuck

Hi there
I just went away for the weekend and unplugged my gear, got home and booted up my mac pro and have never set up a password screen. It is now asking me for my user password.
I enter the password and it is stuck in a loop and keeps returning back to that page and asking for it.
I have found my snow leopard install disk but am terrified of wiping my computer.
what do i need to do to resolve this and avoid deleting my files.

many thanks

Mac Pro 2.8 Quad Core, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 10gb ram

Posted on Dec 19, 2010 10:39 AM

5 replies

Dec 19, 2010 10:42 AM in response to Braintree

If you never set a password for your login, have you tried just entering nothing (leave it blank)?

If you have another admin account, you can log in as that account and reset the password for your other account in the Accounts pane of System Preferences.

If not, you can reset your password by booting from the install disk, going to the Utilities menu then Reset Password and follow the prompts. You won't lose data. You may find that your keychain (which contains your web and wireless passwords) will need to be reset, though.

Matt

Dec 19, 2010 10:47 AM in response to Braintree

Boot from the SL DVD. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. Wait for the menubar to appear then select Reset Password from the Utilities menu. Follow the instructions.

Note that the above may not work. If there is a corrupted or damaged system file involved you may need to reinstall OS X. Fortunately for you SL can be reinstalled without erasing your files.

Dec 19, 2010 12:36 PM in response to Braintree

So, what you are saying is you get a login screen, enter your password, the login screen disappears momentarily, the reappears asking you to login. You are thus caught in a never ending loop. Am I understanding correctly? If so then try this:

You will need to type some Unix commands. If you are not comfortable with this, I don't know of anything other than a re-install. But if you are careful, you should be OK. I recommend you print this out in a largish mono-spaced font so you don't miss any spaces (or add extra ones). Note that case is important.

Start up in single-user mode. When this has finished you will see a prompt ending in '#', although there may be other messages. Enter the following commands after the prompt:

/sbin/fsck -fy

Press RETURN. Wait a few seconds for 8-10 lines of output. If the last line says repairs were carried out, repeat this command until you get a message 'The volume <yourdiskname> appears to be OK'. Then continue with:

/sbin/mount -uw /
cd /Library/Preferences
rm com.apple.loginwindow.plist
rm com.apple.windowserver.plist
cd /Library/Caches
rm -r *
cd /System/Library/Caches
rm -r *
reboot
Press RETURN after each command.

This should now take you to a proper login screen after the normal boot sequence. You should then Repair Permissions by using Disk Utility (in your /Applications/Utilities folder).

Help password stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.