4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2011 6:20 AM by Volker W. Hautsch
AMCarter3 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
My old reliable 3rd generation iPod Photo (60GB) is giving me some trouble. When I connect it to my MacBook Pro (Intel) to sync it with iTunes, it briefly connects with iTunes and after about one minute the iPod unmounts itself from the computer and drops its connection to iTunes. Sometimes it remains connected long enough to perform a full sync and sometimes not. I've done multiple remounts and I've run Disk Utility on the iPod several times. I've also restored the OS on the iPod. Nothing seems to fix it.

I just noticed the iPod is configured with Apple Partition Map. Since I'm using an Intel based laptop with OS 10.6.5, I'm wondering if there might be a conflict between the laptop OS and the iPod drive configuration. Normally, an external hard drive used with an Intel computer should be configured using the GUID Partition format.

Should I completely erase the iPod using Disk Utility and configure it to the GUID format to make it compatible with my Intel laptop? Then restore the iPod OS via iTunes? Does anyone know if this approach works?

Mac Carter

MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.5), iPod Classic - Photo
  • Niel Level 10 Level 10 (274,420 points)
    Since I'm using an Intel based laptop with OS 10.6.5, I'm wondering if there might be a conflict between the laptop OS and the iPod drive configuration.

There isn't.

Normally, an external hard drive used with an Intel computer should be configured using the GUID Partition format.

This only applies to drives intended for use as boot volumes; it may also apply to drives used for Time Machine backups.

Should I completely erase the iPod using Disk Utility and configure it to the GUID format to make it compatible with my Intel laptop?

No.

(55586)
  • AMCarter3 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Neil,

That's helpful to know. Now, what about the issue itself? Any suggestions on what to do about the "un-mounting" behavior?
  • Volker W. Hautsch Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)
    Hallo,

No, I don't have a solution to your problem, but I do have the same problem with a windows computer:

*http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2706853&tstart=0*

I've looked around in different forums and a lot of people with this problem looking for answers.

But until now +I haven't found what I'm looking for!+

I think there must be a way to stop that "unmounting" behavior and I hope someone who found a solution can help.
    Some people at apple's must be able to help, but with 90 days of free support, nobody will give a **** to an old iPod!
    Service isn't a thing apple has invented.

I will let you know, if I found a solution (There must be one!)

Volker
  • Volker W. Hautsch Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)
    I found this advice +among other strange clues+:
    *+“In my case it was definitely the lead that was at fault.”+*
    I couldn’t believe it, but I tried three other cables (USB and firewire).
    With the third cable, a brand new firewire connection, everything works fine!
    I do not know, if this is the solution for all similar problems, but give it a try!
    And give me an answer!
    *Suggestion for apple support team*: If this ( a new cable) is the real reason for the problem, why not mention the solution as FAQ?

Greetings