6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2010 8:30 AM by David Bogie Chq-1
JRIH Level 1 (25 points)
I am currently using DVDSP 4.01 and Compressor 2.01. Compressor is really slow. Are any of the newer versions of Compressor any faster or is this the best I can hope for?
Are there any other Compressor-type programs that are any better?
Thank you.

G5 Tower, 2 gig, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • Studio X Level 7 (27,030 points)
    Are you running this on a G5?

If so, a current MacPro will certainly run the current version of Compressor faster. (It is intel only now).

x
  • JRIH Level 1 (25 points)
    Thank you for the answer. I am running a G5 tower, not an Intel.
    So I guess that I am stuck.
  • David Bogie Chq-1 Level 7 (25,490 points)
    JRIH wrote:
    ICompressor is really slow.

that all depends on what you're trying to do, which you don't really explain except that your output is MPEG2. We all used Compressor for several years on G3 G4, and G5 Macs. Worked fine within the limitations of the hardware. To get around the limitations, we set up farms or we exported FCP projects to a more DVD-friendly format before hitting DVDSP or Compressor.

bogiesan
    JRIH wrote:
    ICompressor is really slow.

that all depends on what you're trying to do, which you don't really explain except that your output is MPEG2. We all used Compressor for several years on G3 G4, and G5 Macs. Worked fine within the limitations of the hardware. To get around the limitations, we set up farms or we exported FCP projects to a more DVD-friendly format before hitting DVDSP or Compressor.

bogiesan
  • JRIH Level 1 (25 points)
    Thanks. I am usually converting MP4 movies to make DVD's on DVDSP.
    What might be a more DVD friendly format?
    Research MP4, that;s your problem. You must decompress MP4, AVCHD, or H.264 before you can compress to MPEG2.

Waste of time to do it in Compressor but the media must be created somehow.

bogiesan.