Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Iphone 4 stuck in DFU Mode

I only had my iphone 4 for 24 hours when it started to randomly freeze on me. I looked up the internet, including these forums and it suggested holding down the home and power buttons for 10 secs. Initially this solved the several times it did it that day. Eventually it froze one evening while viewing a YouTube clip. I left it overnight in its frozen state.

In the morning it was as if nothing was wrong. The iphone was functioning normally. I took some pictures of the snow outside the house and it froze again. Trying a new tactic I tried restoring the phone, which came up with errors 1603 then on a retry, 1604, then 2009, before inexplicably illuminating and going into recovery mode. I then managed to restore the phone and use a backup to put the phone back to how I want it.

Bit later I wanted to add some photos to the iPhone so I added them into Itunes (10.1.1) and synchronised. The screen went dark immediately after plugging it in and has been black screen (as in looks like its powered off) all day.

I have tried holding the power button and home for 10 seconds, then taking finger off the power to put it into DFU mode, but the screen still stays dark.

I have tried holding the home button when I plug it in, but that just seems to screw my drivers up and I get USB device not recognised. I have to reinstall the apple mobile device drivers.

I have tried another computer and another laptop, but no matter what I plug it into, it says the phone is in recovery mode and needs to be restored, yet the iPhone screen is still black, leading me to assume its still in DFU mode.

I have an appointment with the Genius Bar on wednesday, but this is ridiculous, I've never had this much trouble with my other phones before.

How can I get my phone into a stable condition? Or at the very least, somewhat usable?

null

Iphone 4, iOS 4, iOS 4.2.1, Itunes 10.1.1

Posted on Dec 19, 2010 1:43 PM

8 replies

Dec 19, 2010 6:58 PM in response to mhumphries42

mhumphries42 wrote:
I have tried another computer and another laptop, but no matter what I plug it into, it says the phone is in recovery mode and needs to be restored, yet the iPhone screen is still black, leading me to assume its still in DFU mode.

Did you try to restore when plugged into a different computer? If so did you get errors again?

mhumphries42 wrote:
I have an appointment with the Genius Bar on wednesday, but this is ridiculous, I've never had this much trouble with my other phones before.

How can I get my phone into a stable condition? Or at the very least, somewhat usable?

Personally from the sounds of it there could be hardware issues causing the repeated issues. If restoring the iPhone doesn't work then there isn't much that can be done. The genius will probably attempt a restore and set the iPhone up as a new device, so you could try that at home first but that's about it.

Dec 19, 2010 10:39 PM in response to Dr_AL

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I have tried another computer and I still get the same error messages when I try a restore. Unfortunately I do not have anyone with a Mac with which to try. As much as I would love one, I'm stuck with Windows due to work etc..

I have just woken up and plugged it into the same laptop I have been attempting to restore from. It started to restore perfectly fine as if nothing was wrong. However it asked me to put the sim card in the iPhone after it restored then it complained that the phone was too hot and needed to cool down. It has only been sat on the side overnight?! Could I have the proximity sensor issue, since I noticed I have dropped half the battery charge over night. Could this also be affecting my sync issues and the freeze problem?

Dec 25, 2010 3:47 PM in response to mhumphries42

This is a joke, no support or even an answer to my problem from Apple. Apple seem to be ignoring this issue that is all over google. I have no lost the photo's and video's I took during christmas.

I am not going to buy apple again and will stick to Microsoft which has good support and compatibility.

The nearest Apple store where I am now is 4 hours away by car, I stand no chance at getting to one now.

Dec 26, 2010 3:02 AM in response to mhumphries42

If it's a brand new iPhone I'd get it swapped at the store you bought it from as it seems to be a hardware fault. Especially if it's within 14 days, just threaten to cancel your contract if they don't swap it there and then – in the UK we have that right.

Shame you have had a bad experience, but sometimes, whether Microsoft/Apple/Motorola or whatever, you will get a dud device 🙂

Dec 26, 2010 10:12 AM in response to markc80

I'm currently not at my home address as I travel for christmas, which is why I like the use of an iPhone.

If I got my phone from T-Mobile UK, do they have to replace it or can someone at the Apple store do it? I have all the proof of purchases from when I bought it on the 17th.

At the moment its locked up twice a day and I have to spend an hour at least on my computer constantly rebooting. Today the battery ran itself down to zero over night and is now stuck in a recovery loop.

It seems the only way to force the iPhone out of recovery mode is to have it jailbroken and use one of the many programs out there. The problem is that this will invalidate my warranty.

How come so many amateur coders out there can fix iDevice better than apple? I can't even find an official mention from apple about this product, but when you search for the problems on the internet there are literally hundreds of instances of this. It just doesn't make sense that apple can't have seen them.

null

Jan 3, 2011 1:37 PM in response to mhumphries42

While I am annoyed that my iPhone was defective and that anything can be defective purely by chance, it wasn't the face that the product was defective it was the lack of support from apple that angered me; most importantly the lack of admission from apple that they have issues and don't seem to acknowledge them.

I returned to the vicinity of an apple store today (3rd Jan) at about 10am, after it opened... it was rammed full of people. I had to make an appointment to see the genius bar, and the only available slot was 15:50. Needless to say I wandered around the city for hours until I could get sorted out. I must add here that I know how busy is was, so I do not hold apple against this. In fact I admire their stamina judging by the sheer number of people with apple related issued. But sure enough, after waiting 20 mins in a backlog of people, I showed them my iPhone and they just replaced it. I never even needed proof or receipt that my iPhone was indeed less than 30 days old.

They scanned the iPhone box... does this tell them that it's a new iPhone or doesn't it matter depending on the problem as mine was faulty hardware.

As busy as the Apple store was the staff were curteous, professional and efficient. While waiting for my Genius Bar skot, I did play with the Mac's on display and while impressed with their fluidity I decided tht eventually I will eventually buy a Mac, but it will never replace my Windows machine, which is compatible with everything (including most malware unfortunately).

I can now only wait to see if my issues persists with this new iPhone. If they do persist with my new phone, then it would seem that I am doing something wrong. I sincerely hope not, especially since the Apple poeple replaced my phone on the judgement that it's a hardware issue on my former iPhone 4.

I would love a Mac, yes I would. But the limited software forces me to use Windows as it has versatility and availability on it's side. Not to mention the wider and more variable pay scale for the items.

Verdict:

Apple Products: Generally Excellent with few a exceptions
Apple Support: Needs work commercially, but local retail/personal support is top notch

Would I buy from Apple again?

Depends on how this iPhone behaves now I have it replaced. That is the deciding factor. I have an iPod 3(?) which has never gone wrong (touch wood) and an iPhone 4 which has been a nightmare. This new iPhone will make it 2/3 either way, which will settle my mind.

EDIT... stupid MS windows sent the message before I finished writing it. Ironic...

New Iphone 4 stuck in DFU Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.