Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Heat wave or heat signature effect

Does anyone know if there is a heat wave or heat signature effect plug in for Final Cut Express?

macBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Dec 19, 2010 5:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2010 10:52 PM

I'm not sure exactly the effect you are looking for, but as no-one has replied, that may indicate that the heat-wave effect is not built into FCE. You may be interested to try the ripple dissolve transition. Surprisingly, I managed to get a rising wave-like effect. You may wish to experiment to see it it suits your needs.

I first tried it on a still image (two copies of the same photo side-by-side) in the timeline. I applied the ripple dissolve as a transition between them. I increased the transition duration to exactly cover both photos. The transition has several adjustments so you can flatten out the ripples and place the centre (red +) way down low, out of the frame. It looks like rising arced waves across the image, but not really a heat haze as they are curved. I later did the same to a video clip and placed the edit in the centre. The same heat wave rising effect could be seen during the clip.

This is not really the correct use of a transition I suppose, but it may be worth a try for you. Keith
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2010 10:52 PM in response to dubdroid 1

I'm not sure exactly the effect you are looking for, but as no-one has replied, that may indicate that the heat-wave effect is not built into FCE. You may be interested to try the ripple dissolve transition. Surprisingly, I managed to get a rising wave-like effect. You may wish to experiment to see it it suits your needs.

I first tried it on a still image (two copies of the same photo side-by-side) in the timeline. I applied the ripple dissolve as a transition between them. I increased the transition duration to exactly cover both photos. The transition has several adjustments so you can flatten out the ripples and place the centre (red +) way down low, out of the frame. It looks like rising arced waves across the image, but not really a heat haze as they are curved. I later did the same to a video clip and placed the edit in the centre. The same heat wave rising effect could be seen during the clip.

This is not really the correct use of a transition I suppose, but it may be worth a try for you. Keith

Heat wave or heat signature effect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.