Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express losing connection

Every other day, my MacBook Pro shows a wireless signal, but I can't connect. I have to unplug the airport express and replug it in for it to work. Anyone else experiencing this? My Airport Express is about 2 years old.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 19, 2010 7:33 PM

14 replies

Dec 19, 2010 8:18 PM in response to Steve L 060373

Hello Steve L 060373. Welcome to the Apple Discussions!

It is very possible that you may have some form of Wi-Fi interference that has been introduced recently in the immediate area that is preventing your MacBook Pro from getting a good clean signal from the AirPort Express Base Station (AX).

I suggest you perform a simple site survey, using utilities like iStumbler, or AirRadar to determine potential areas of interference, and then, try to either eliminate or significantly reduce them where possible. You may find that by simply changing radio channels may resolve the problem.

Dec 21, 2010 2:08 AM in response to Tesserax

Steve

Similar problem here. Every couple of days all the devices connected to my Airport Extreme lose the ability to communicate with each other, and they lose access to the internet (provided by a Draytek Vigor 120 ADSL modem). This applies to wired devices as well as wireless devices, so I don''t think it is wireless interference.

Like you, on my wireless devices (MacBook, iPhones, iPad) I see a strong signal strength indicator, but no connectivity. In this state I can use the Airport Utility wirelessly from my Macbook (and wired from my Mac Mini) to access the Airport Extreme, and if I do a Restart, the result is the same as pulling the power plug from the back of the Airport - everything comes back up and works fine for a couple of days.

To me it seems as though just the router function of the Airport has crashed. I've updated the Airport to 7.5.2 as of yesterday morning, and am watching to see whether this cures it - should know by this time tomorrow!

Dec 21, 2010 11:19 PM in response to sdevan

It hasn't fixed it for me either unfortunately - the router crashed overnight again. Looking over the Airport Extreme logs, I see no activity around that time apart from occasional 'Rotated CCMP group key' messages. I can see when the crash happened though, as the hourly clock synchronisation fails - one hour it is fine, then an hour later I get 'No Address for NTP server time.apple.com.' Once again the ADSL modem is still running and connected, because it just took a reboot of the Airport (from a wireless Macbook) to get everything going again.

Jan 3, 2011 9:57 AM in response to Steve L 060373

I'm having the same symptoms. Both wired AND wireless connections are affected. Even when connectivity returns, the browser I'm using often remains frozen until I quit/exit and restart the browser. Happens with Safari on my iMac (latest versions of OSX 10.6.x and Safari) and Firefox on my Win7 laptop, so it's something wrong with my Aiport Extreme Base Station (dual band; firmware 7.5.2).

Any ideas?

Jan 9, 2011 9:18 AM in response to macintush

I am getting this issue when I wake my computer up from sleep mode. I have a super strong signal but for whatever reason when its in sleep mode, it screws up the AE and then I have to go into the Network Diagnostics. After the first 2 or 3 questions it asks, it will then say its working properly and my connection will return on its own. On other occasions it will continue asking me questions then tell me to reset the AE and my cable modem as well. This is a constant chore though and I want to believe there is something with my computer being in sleep mode that is causing this to happen.

Feb 19, 2012 8:44 AM in response to DVX100Shooter

My issues are almost the same as DVX100Shooter's. I am working from an iMac hardwired to my Time Capsule serving as my wireless base station, and AirPort Expresses serving as AirPlay speakers. I also have a B&W Zeppelin Air, and an AppleTV connected to speakers. After I reboot my computer, iTunes seems to connect fine with all my AirPlay devices. After my computer wakes from sleep, however, it looses the connection to my AirPort Expresses alone. The B&W and the AppleTV can still connect. I don't get an error message, and when I try to reconnect through iTunes, the message "Connecting to '<speaker name>'..." pops up with a progress bar that never moves, and then disappears without connecting. I don't even receive an error message.

Restarting iTunes doesn't cure the problem. Unplugging and plugging the AirPort Express back in doesn't cure the problem. Resetting the AirPort Expresses doesn't work. I have the latest firmware installed on the Time Capsule and AirPort Expresses. The only thing that seems to work most most times (but not always), is to reboot the computer.

I'm at a loss. Has anyone solved this yet?

Airport Express losing connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.