Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iChat uses wrong domain name - changeip -0checkhostname is fine

Hi there,

we migrated the 10.5.8 Server of one of our customers to 10.6.5 on a new machine.

Unfortunately we have to problems now that make us crazy. One is related to ichat and is posted here.

The iChat Server doesn't start, there is no Start-button in Server Admin and all configuration options are greyed out.

Seems totally as though this fix should help: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3178

But it doesn't. 😟

Some more research leads us to this command:

use sudo /usr/libexec/ichatserverinittool -i

That says that the following files already exists and that therefor the process is exiting.

/private/var/run/jabberd
/private/var/jabberd/sqlite/jabberd2.db
/private/var/spool/conference.xserve.ourdomain.de

We renamed these files to *.old and tried it again. After that the initialization went fine but the iChat problems persist. 😟

Now you can find the following problems in the log.

Can not create /var/run/jabberd Permission denied

(It is already there with permission jabber:jabber / 755). Changes are undone after a reboot.

servermgr_jabber[W]: detailed service status not available until network configuration completed

Finally (and this seems to be the point for me)

authenticated as conference.Xserve.local

This is not the correct domain, of course!

But when starting

sudo changeip -checkhostname I get

Primary address = IP-Address of Ethernet1
Current HostName = xserve.ourdomain.de
DNS HostName = xserve.ourdomain.de
The names match. There is nothing to change.
dirserv:success = "success"

Any suggestions how to solve this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

Bets wishes from Germany!

Volker

MacBook Pro (3,1) Intel Core 2 Duo 2,2GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 4GB Ram, 500GB HDD

Posted on Dec 20, 2010 2:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 2:53 PM

This is not a unique problem - not sure if that is good or bad news.

I'm not sure why this happens - that's not good news for me.

I would like to see the file /Library/Logs/Migration/jabbermigrator.log which is created when the config is updated. You should also file this as a bug and send that same file to Apple. Do you have access to
ichat, if so contact me on bumfodder at mac.com

Tim
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2010 2:53 PM in response to ragob66

This is not a unique problem - not sure if that is good or bad news.

I'm not sure why this happens - that's not good news for me.

I would like to see the file /Library/Logs/Migration/jabbermigrator.log which is created when the config is updated. You should also file this as a bug and send that same file to Apple. Do you have access to
ichat, if so contact me on bumfodder at mac.com

Tim

Jan 4, 2011 4:59 AM in response to Tim Harris

Hi Tim,

thanks for your answer.

The problem is solved for us now. We needed just another restart. After rebooting the domain was correct, too. Nevertheless we mentioned that this behaviour (all is greyed out) comes back when no network connection is available. So it seems worth a try to check the network connection if this problem occurs.

Thanks a lot!

Best wishes

Volker

iChat uses wrong domain name - changeip -0checkhostname is fine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.