Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP FireWire 800 bus has corrupted 3 drives

Hello,

I have been working with a friend on a recording of their band. We recorded a 24 track Pro Tools 9 session of their latest show. Everything has been working flawlessly until last night.

I received a frantic call from my buddy yesterday telling me that his buss powered FW drive all of a sudden unmounted and now is unrecognizable by the system. When he plugs it in to the 800 port it powers up and is recognized by the system but says that it needs to be formatted. We checked it in disk utility but it says the drive is corrupted and cannot be repaired.

In an effort to recover the un-backed-up audio data he bought Pro Soft's disk recovery software. It was able to see the data on the drive so he started the recovery process. about 5 hours or so into the process the destination disk unmounted and is now unrecognizable by the system. Same error, the disk needs to be initialized and disk utility is unable to repair the problem.

Unfortunately he also hooked up his backup drive to the system and it became corrupted it as well after a few hours. (Not my suggestion).

Long story longer... We now have 3 drives that are full of data but cannot be recognized by any system. He tried mounting them on his girlfriends old Power-book but gets the same error. We also took the drives that have USB and hooked them up via USB but still have the same error.

I think he is going to have to send in the computer to apple care but I thought I would ask if anyone has any suggestions.

He has a newer MBP Core 2 Duo running 10.6.4

THANK YOU!

MBP 2.0GHZ Core Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.6), iPhone 3G

Posted on Dec 20, 2010 11:36 AM

There are no replies.

MBP FireWire 800 bus has corrupted 3 drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.