Previous 1 2 Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2010 12:32 PM by rccharles
ilgaar Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Hi,

I've been looking for a good way to convert .doc and .docx and formats into a Mac friendly format, most of these documents have pictures in it, so when I use TextEdit to open them they have no pictures. I thought if I can convert them to html format or a Mac friendly format, I might be able to edit them in a an html editor like Kompozer. but it seems there is no easy way to do this. how can I convert .doc and .docx formats into html?

MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.5), Magic Mouse, and airport express
  • GeekBoy.from.Illinois Level 4 Level 4 (2,800 points)
    I believe that Open Office can open docx formats.
  • Templeton Peck Level 9 Level 9 (60,070 points)
    Why don't you just use Microsoft Word?
  • ilgaar Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    1. Because it is too expensive.
    2. Because I can not share documents with people who don't have M$ Products
    3. even M$ Word can not concert .doc and .docx into a decent html format, it always screws something, so when I open them in a browser they look creepy.
    4. I don't have M$ Office.

    If you don't know the answer to a question you better don't post anything at all.

    thank you.
  • Templeton Peck Level 9 Level 9 (60,070 points)
    Boy are you ungrateful. I gave you the most logical answer.

    even M$ Word can not concert .doc and .docx into a decent html format, it always screws something, so when I open them in a browser they look creepy.


    And you think a third party application can do better? Since .doc files are created by Word, there's probably no better app to make the conversion.
  • ilgaar Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Thanks for suggesting Open Office, I have it already, but because .doc and .docx formats are proprietary and their sources are closed, I guess theses folks in the oracle had to use reverse engineering tactics in order to decipher these formats, as a result they are not perfect, and whenever I open a .doc or .docx document in Open office they look as crippled and screwed as if I converted them to html with MS Office trial version. But again, thanks for them suggestion.
  • ilgaar Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Yes, I believe there are people out there smarter than MS Office creators, whom are smart enough to do that.

    By the way, I haven't asked this question so we open a discussion about what MS Office can or can not do, I just asked a question to find out if somebody knows something that I don't, and if it is possible. I'm not gonna reply back to you if you are gonna promote using MS Office and discuss about what it can or can not do. thanks
  • etresoft Level 7 Level 7 (26,840 points)
    ilgaar wrote:
    I've been looking for a good way to convert .doc and .docx and formats into a Mac friendly format


    Microsoft Word runs on the Mac, and runs pretty well.

    how can I convert .doc and .docx formats into html?


    Anything that can open Word documents can re-save as HTML. The results are always underwhelming.

    Thanks for suggesting Open Office, I have it already, but because .doc and .docx formats are proprietary and their sources are closed, I guess theses folks in the oracle had to use reverse engineering tactics in order to decipher these formats, as a result they are not perfect, and whenever I open a .doc or .docx document in Open office they look as crippled and screwed as if I converted them to html with MS Office trial version.


    Actually, Word file formats are publicly available: http://www.microsoft.com/interop/docs/officebinaryformats.mspx
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc313105(v=office.12).aspx

    If Open Office has problems with them, it is due to limitations in Open Office.

    1. Because it is too expensive.


    It is $115 for the world's leading office software. That is one of the least expensive professional applications you can buy.

    2. Because I can not share documents with people who don't have M$ Products


    Everyone has Office.

    3. even M$ Word can not concert .doc and .docx into a decent html format, it always screws something, so when I open them in a browser they look creepy.


    That is true. Why do you want to convert them to HTML anyway? Get Office and keep them in their original format.

    Yes, I believe there are people out there smarter than MS Office creators, whom are smart enough to do that.


    Dozens, at least

    I just asked a question to find out if somebody knows something that I don't


    The answer is yes.

    I'm not gonna reply back to you if you are gonna promote using MS Office and discuss about what it can or can not do. thanks


    Your reply, or lack thereof, is irrelevant. Other people who have similar questions will search for an answer and will find this thread. Even if you are too stubborn to accept the answer, those other people may not be.
  • rccharles Level 5 Level 5 (6,475 points)
    ilgaar wrote:
    1. Because it is too expensive.


    Buy an older copy on ebay. I got '04 for $40.

    Have them send it out as PDF.

    Open Office works pretty will for me.

    NeoOffice.app

    http://www.neooffice.org

    Robert
  • ilgaar Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    etresoft wrote:
    Actually, Word file formats are publicly available: http://www.microsoft.com/interop/docs/officebinaryformats.mspx
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc313105(v=office.12).aspx

    If Open Office has problems with them, it is due to limitations in Open Office.



    Thanks for the information. I didn't know that. so I guess as you say whatever is wrong, is wrong with Open Office.

    etresoft wrote:
    It is $115 for the world's leading office software. That is one of the least expensive professional applications you can buy.


    It might not be expensive for you, but I'm a student and as a result totally broke!

    etresoft wrote:
    Everyone has Office.


    That's not true, not everyone has MS Office, I know dozens of people who don't or use other Office Programs. but it might be true about the people you know.

    etresoft wrote:
    That is true. Why do you want to convert them to HTML anyway? Get Office and keep them in their original format.


    Why? because I want to edit them in html format, because I want to make templates out of them, like email stationery, web templates and so on.

    etresoft wrote:
    Your reply, or lack thereof, is irrelevant. Other people who have similar questions will search for an answer and will find this thread. Even if you are too stubborn to accept the answer, those other people may not be.


    Yes and that is the whole point of a good community. and no I'm not stubborn to accept an answer, it is just that solution is not available for me.
  • ilgaar Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    rccharles wrote:
    ilgaar wrote:
    1. Because it is too expensive.


    Buy an older copy on ebay. I got '04 for $40.

    Have them send it out as PDF.

    Open Office works pretty will for me.

    NeoOffice.app

    http://www.neooffice.org

    Robert


    Thanks for the tip, I think I might consider that. then I guess I have to tighten my belt, cut expenses and start to save those coins. What about iWork, I think it should be less expensive than MS Office. It might support MS Open XML and old formats.

    thanks again.
  • leroydouglas Level 6 Level 6 (15,085 points)
    Pages (iWorks) opens .doc and .docx files just fine. You can save as .pages or export as: PDF, RTF, Plain Txt
  • ilgaar Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Good to hear that, then I will strongly consider buying iWork.

    thanks
  • etresoft Level 7 Level 7 (26,840 points)
    ilgaar wrote:
    It might not be expensive for you, but I'm a student and as a result totally broke!


    As a student, you can buy it for only $99.95
    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/office-academic

    But check with your campus bookstore. They might have volumes licenses that are much, much cheaper.

    That's not true, not everyone has MS Office, I know dozens of people who don't or use other Office Programs. but it might be true about the people you know.


    Like it or not, Office is "the standard". When it comes to operating systems, Microsoft has definitely played dirty over the years. With Office, they won fair and square. Plus, Office has always been Mac-friendly. Excel was originally written for the Mac.

    Why? because I want to edit them in html format, because I want to make templates out of them, like email stationery, web templates and so on.


    Go ahead and give that up now. The best you can do is copy the plain text out of Word and build the HTML by hand. I have tried this many, many times and have always given up. I have never found anything that can generate decent HTML from Word. Actually, what I do is copy the text into XML and reapply em and strong tags to match the original formatting. Then add other html-friendly tags. I can use xslt to transform that to html or even ePub. In fact, I did just that with my wife's textbook. People who used fancy, expensive tools like InDesign had messy, complicated documents that have display problems in iBook 1.2. My ePub source is very clean and still looks great.

    Yes and that is the whole point of a good community. and no I'm not stubborn to accept an answer, it is just that solution is not available for me.


    You're civil and you met me halfway - that's pretty good and I appreciate it.

    Check your school bookstore to see if you can get a cheap copy of Office. If not, try using Open Office or other tools to extract just the text and convert it into something more portable. I did a 282 page book that way, so I know it's tedious. But all the automated tools try too hard to retain all the formatting and the end result looks very close to the original, but is unreadable as source.
  • ilgaar Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    OK I finally found a good solution for this problem, so everyone out there that has the same problem, here is what I did:

    1. OK if you have some .doc and .docx file formats and you want to convert them into something like .html or .odt, without having to reedit the code or getting a screwed document, use http://www.freefileconvert.com/ in order to convert them into .odt so they would look as they do in MS office just go to the website and upload your documents then choose .odt, then click convert, after a few moments you will get a link to download your .odt files. you can use and play around with your document in Open Office, I have tested it and it's really good.

    2. Or if you want to convert them into .html with a clean code, and all the elements in it, simply go to http://www.zamzar.com/ and then ulpoad your documents, choose .html and enter your email address, you will have your .html files zipped and sent right in your inbox, then you could use Kompozer like me, or any other html editor, to make a template out of it. I tried it and the result was nice, now I have a bunch of nice html files that I can use to make templates and email stationery.
Previous 1 2 Next