Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Car charger in Europe for US bought iPod 3g

I bought an iPod Touch 3g in the US. Then I moved to Germany. I bought a Belkin Micro USB Car Charger in Germany, but my US-bought iPod touch 3g does not charge from it, using the USB-dock cable that came with the iPod touch. When I returned the Belkin charger (to the chain electronics store) the salesman told me that NO charger bought in Europe will work with the US bought iPod 3g. Is this for real, or is he full of $%^&*? I can charge from my laptop USB connector, and from a Wii USB port. Why can I not charge from a USB car adapter? Can someone suggest a product I can buy in Europe for my car lighter socket? Thanks!

iPod Touch 3g, iOS 4

Posted on Dec 21, 2010 11:03 AM

4 replies

Dec 21, 2010 1:18 PM in response to deric.apple

deric.apple wrote:
... the salesman told me that NO charger bought in Europe will work with the US bought iPod 3g.

That is not true. First of all, the iPod Touch requires the standard USB voltage to charge (that's approximately 5v), and at (I think) 500mA. mA is the current, or the speed that the electricity moves along the wire. That's the same, whether the iPod was purchased in the USA, the European Union, or Japan (in fact, anywhere)

the salesman told me that _NO charger_ bought in Europe ...

"A charger" could mean any one of several different types, so if that's what the saleman actually said, he was playing with words. He still wasn't correct though:
1. wall charger; transforms the "local" voltage into USB voltage. The "local" voltage in the USA is 120 volts, in Europe it's (mainly) 220 volts.
2. USB port on a computer; it will be 5 volts, but some USB ports (keyboard ones especially) do not provide a high enough current and therefore will not charge an iPod.
3. *"Car chargers for iPods";* a device that plugs into the car's "cigarette lighter" outlet (or now sometimes called the "12 volt out socket" or similar). Car battery voltage is 12 volts, so the "car charger" has to change that to 5 volts. But it also has to provide 500mA.

So what were you sold? The pictures and description of the three Belkin Micro USB Car Chargers that I've seen (on the Belkin website) look as though they should all do the job, but there is no technical information to confirm that for two of them. So what was the problem? I don't know, was the device you had in two parts, a "plug" that fitted into the car socket and a cable that plugged into the "plug"? If not, and it was a one piece device with the cable coming directly out of the device, perhaps it was a firewire charger. If so, that is the problem.

Older iPods charged through "firewire" or USB, but newer iPods do not (and cannot) use the firewire charging voltage. Firewire voltage is 12 volts and there have been plenty of "chargers" which were "designed" for iPods but used only the firewire output. So they work with older iPods, but not newer ones and definitely not with the Touch.

Wow! I realise that's a bit long-winded, but the fact is, you can buy a charger to charge your iPod Touch from the car socket. But it must be a USB one that provides 5 volts and at least 500mA. If it only provides 300mA, it will not work. Try another shop.

Phil

Dec 21, 2010 6:08 PM in response to deric.apple

Thanks for the detailed response! This looks like what I had bought http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=489767, which says on the web it is compatible with iPod and iPhone and supplies 5V, 1A. But I also just found on the web products F8Z445 and F8Z445EA. Any idea what the difference is?

Message was edited by: deric.apple to add info about 2 product IDs

Dec 22, 2010 6:01 AM in response to deric.apple

I'm afraid I don't really understand the purpose of all the different models. As I said, even Belkin don't provide sufficient information on their site, although one model states it will provide 2.1Amps. That's a comparitively high current, perhaps it's for the iPad, I haven't checked. The other two appear to be the same, but one is supplied with a USB-to-Dock connector cable, while the other is not. But they cost the same price!

The link you provided isn't currently working - "a problem has been encountered", but none of this explains why the device you bought didn't work - it should have done.

Like I said, try another shop. Sorry I can't be more help.

Phil

Jan 23, 2011 5:48 AM in response to the fiend

How I resolved this: After getting advice here and from Belkin directly, I went to another store and bought a Hama full-size USB car charger. (They didn't have Belkin.) It worked! But I noticed a lot of engine noise in the audio, so I exchanged it at the store for a Hama micro USB charger (about the same size as the small Belkin one). That also worked and had less noise. I think I had earlier a defective Belkin charger.

There are two bad things about this story: (1) a salesman at MediaMarkt in Herzogenrath is telling customers that they will never find a charging product for their US bought iPod/iPhone in Europe. That's wrong. Unfortunately, there are US and NATO bases nearby with personel that surely will visit that store and get the same wrong message. (2) I returned the defective Belkin charger in its original packaging, so it probably went right back on the shelf where another customer will be disappointed. 😟

By the way, here's a link to the the Belkin product that I tried. (This support forum has a bug that adds a trailing comma to the hyperlink, so my previous post did not work.)

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=489767

Hope this helps someone.

Message was edited by: deric.apple

Car charger in Europe for US bought iPod 3g

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.