Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i copy my iphoto pics to a hard drive

I have a ton of pictures on iphoto and I want to transfer them onto an external hard drive to save space on my iMac. Is there a easy way to mass transfer them like on a windows based PC?

imac, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 22, 2010 6:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2010 7:34 AM

You want to move your iPhoto Library?

1. Quit iPhoto

2. Copy the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.

3. Hold down the option (or alt) key while launching iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and navigate to the new location. From that point on this will be the default location of your library.

4. Test the library and when you're sure all is well, trash the one on your internal HD to free up space.

Regards

TD
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2010 7:34 AM in response to cyberbo60

You want to move your iPhoto Library?

1. Quit iPhoto

2. Copy the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.

3. Hold down the option (or alt) key while launching iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and navigate to the new location. From that point on this will be the default location of your library.

4. Test the library and when you're sure all is well, trash the one on your internal HD to free up space.

Regards

TD

Mar 31, 2015 9:31 AM in response to ChrisBeast

Assemble the photos you want to put on the EHD in an album. It can be a Smart Album with the criteria Rating is 5 stars or Keyword is "XXXX".

Select all of the photos in the smart album and export out of iPhoto via the File ➙ Export ➙ File Export menu option with the following settings:

User uploaded file

That will export the photos to wherever you choose and put them in folders corresponding to the Events there are in.

When you're satisfied you have the image files safely on the EHD delete them from the Smart Album according to the following directions:

Deleting Photos from an iPhoto Library

1 - from an Event or the Photos mode: select the photo(s) and use the Delete key to move the photos to the trash bin. Then empty the iPhoto Trash bin as follows:

User uploaded file

2 - from an album, smart album, book, slideshow, card, etc.: select the photo(s) and use the key combination of Command+Option+Delete to move the photos to the trash bin. Then empty the trash bin as above.

User uploaded file

NOTE: deleting a photo from an album, slideshow, book, etc., with only the Delete key only deletes that photo from that item. Deleting a photo from an Event deletes ALL occurences of that photo in the library.

how do i copy my iphoto pics to a hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.