Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Doesn't Accept Fonts I Set

Whenever I go to the Appearance tab in Preferences I set the fonts for something other than default, yet even after I save it, the fonts are still the default set. Anyone know why this happens, and how I can override the default? Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.5), 13" MacBook, iOS4

Posted on Dec 22, 2010 4:43 PM

9 replies

Dec 22, 2010 5:05 PM in response to Steven Springer

I see, thanks.

those settings are just for 'standard' and 'standard fixed width' fonts where a webpage has not specified its own choices... you can force certain fonts, but it requires an extension/add-on or using a custom style sheet via Safari-Preferences-Advanced

there are a couple of 'hidden' preference keys listed : WebKitSansSerifFont and WebKitSerifFont which may work if enabled in Terminal, but (again, likely only when a page calls for a font style, rather than by name, so probably not what you're looking for.

Mar 30, 2011 7:13 PM in response to Steven Springer

Steven --

I don't know of a way to do that, really, in Safari.
The programmers of the sites usually determine what font is to be seen.

It could be that there is a way to set CSS style sheet preferences
(In Safari > Preferences > Style Sheet) but I'm not positive.

Changing the default fonts in Safari generally doesn't do much, AFAIK.
I pay a lot of attention to fonts, but I decided that changing fonts that the programmer
has spent hours on, in terms of size, line returns, etc., just isn't worth it, IMHO.

There is an easy way to increase the size of the fonts. But it doesn't seem that that's your primary goal.

PS:
One question I hope you will not take as an intrusion:
Do you have Delaware roots?

Message was edited by: ~Bee

Safari Doesn't Accept Fonts I Set

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.