Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Symlinks Location?

I have recently had Disk Doctors recover a failed HD for me, and the Time Machine backup folder is present, however when I search the 'Backups.backupdb' all I see are symlinks that appear broken.

Are symlinks stored in other folders besides the primary Time Machine backup folder?

Mac Pro 2.8x8, Mac OS X (10.6.2), NVidia GT 120 | 10GB | RAID 0 | 20" Samsung | 23" ACD

Posted on Dec 22, 2010 5:16 PM

1 reply

Dec 22, 2010 7:26 PM in response to Psilocybe

Psilocybe wrote:
I have recently had Disk Doctors recover a failed HD for me, and the Time Machine backup folder is present, however when I search the 'Backups.backupdb' all I see are symlinks that appear broken.

Are symlinks stored in other folders besides the primary Time Machine backup folder?

TM backups are full of multiple +*hard links+* at both the file and directory level. See [How Time Machine works its Magic|http://web.me.com/pondini/Time_Machine/Works.html].

It sounds like whatever was used on the backups didn't understand them; most 3rd-party apps and other OSs can't.

Symlinks Location?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.