Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what does SMC reset actually do?

hi. i have a fairly clean macbook pro, only using 50 gig of the 250. it seems to be slightly slower than normal so i did a 'verify disk' which found a couple of issues and fixed them. i was thinking of now doing an SMC reset but was wondering what it would actually do; would my macbook pro then just restart as normal, would i have to re-install anything or such? is and SMC reset something that should be done every now and then? thanks.

MACBOOK PRO 13 MID 10, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 22, 2010 5:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2010 5:44 PM

The System Management Controller (SMC) controls most power functions on modern Macs. Resetting the SMC can resolve some computer issues such as not starting up, not displaying video, sleep issues, fan noise issues, battery charging and more. If a Mac exhibits these types of issues after a restart, or if it will not start up, try resetting the SMC. The SMC replaces the functionality of the PMU used on earlier Macs.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2010 5:44 PM in response to iinami

The System Management Controller (SMC) controls most power functions on modern Macs. Resetting the SMC can resolve some computer issues such as not starting up, not displaying video, sleep issues, fan noise issues, battery charging and more. If a Mac exhibits these types of issues after a restart, or if it will not start up, try resetting the SMC. The SMC replaces the functionality of the PMU used on earlier Macs.

what does SMC reset actually do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.