Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When does iTunes update meta data?

Hi.

I updated some meta data on MP3 files previously added to iTunes.

While doing a sync to iPhone 3GS, I noticed that these modifications were not sync'ed to the iPhone. Later on, I found out that even iTunes didn't catch the changes.

How can I force iTunes to reread the MP3 files in order to make the changed meta data visible in iTunes?

Thanks,

Windows XP Pro

Posted on Dec 23, 2010 10:25 AM

5 replies

Dec 23, 2010 11:18 AM in response to geohei

geohei wrote:
How can I force iTunes to reread the MP3 files in order to make the changed meta data visible in iTunes?

If you use the normal Get Info dialog to change tags, the metadata is written to the file when you click OK.

99% of the time, that is all there is to it. But, there are a few exceptions: If you don't have Read/Write permissions your changes will not "take." WAV files cannot store metadata within the file. And some data (e.g. Rating) is stored in the library, not in the song file.

Sometimes, people have other programs running on the computer that change tags (or change them back after you've changed them). Windows Media Player is the usual culprit, but you can go to its Library tab and turn off all the options that automatically change song info.

Finally, make sure you are using automatic sync for your iPod/iPhone. If you do manual sync, changes do not get picked up unless you do them manually.

Does any of this help with your issue?

Dec 24, 2010 3:49 AM in response to ed2345

If you use the normal Get Info dialog to change tags, the metadata is written to the file when you click OK.

Ok, this is understood and works. But I don't want to change meta data using iTunes. I use Mp3tag 2.47a.

Until now, I only found 2 ways to make iTunes aware of meta data changes inside an MP3 file.
1. Like you mentioned ... Get Info. Buit this only works for 1 file. When I select multiple files, it doesn't work.
2. When I play an MP3, iTunes also catches the changes.

99% of the time, that is all there is to it. But, there are a few exceptions: If you don't have Read/Write permissions your changes will not "take." WAV files cannot store metadata within the file. And some data (e.g. Rating) is stored in the library, not in the song file.

Hmmm ... iTunes doesn't store rating values inside an MP3. MP3 foresees "RATING MM" and "RATING WMP" tags, but these aren't used by iTunes (to the best of knowledge). So iTunes stored the ratings inside it's own library.

Sometimes, people have other programs running on the computer that change tags (or change them back after you've changed them). Windows Media Player is the usual culprit, but you can go to its Library tab and turn off all the options that automatically change song info.

I use Mp3tag 2.47a.

Does any of this help with your issue?

A bit 🙂

I found 2 ways to tell iTunes that the tags changed, but I't like to have something where iTunes automatically checks more files and adjusts its database accordingly.

Thanks,

When does iTunes update meta data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.