Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I skip to "next track" when listening to podcasts?

I just purchased an iPod shuffle (4th generation). I like to listen to podcasts. I synced about 7 podcasts to my iPod. When listening to my iPod, I cannot skip to the next track using the "next track" button. The only way to get to the next track is to use the voice over function. Is this how the iPod is supposed to work with podcasts?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 23, 2010 11:18 AM

30 replies

Dec 26, 2010 8:12 AM in response to Jesse808

I don't know the answer to this but I'm wondering how you use the voice over function. I turned it on and when I hit that voice over button it just says "All songs" and doesn't play my podcast at all just the music? Any clue about that?

Sorry to bite on your question...just seems like you already might know the answer to mine. Please and Thanx

Dec 27, 2010 7:19 AM in response to lowpuller

I have now gone back and put my music and podcast in playlist, but I still cannot skip to the next pod cast and I cannot find the music.

I have manually loaded everything and verfied the music and podcast have both loaded.

I have tried both play in order and shuffle positions, no luck.

This is getting very frustrating. I have to keep listening to teh same podcast and cannot listening to my music. I have three other ipods with no probs. This stinks!!!

Dec 27, 2010 1:58 PM in response to friz48

_In summary_:

Answer: The next track button cannot be used to skip to the next podcast in a series of podcasts on the 4th Generation iPod shuffle. That's the way Apple designed it to work.

*Work Around*: Here is what I do to get to another podcast, I press and hold the voiceover button to hear playlist menu (yes, the iPod shuffle considers individual podcasts to be playlists). The iPod shuffle will then read off the list of podcasts on your iPod. When you hear the title you want, press the play button.

Apple: This blows! Please reconsider the next track function as it relates to podcasts. It's intuitive and easier to have the "next track" button advance to the next podcast.

Jan 2, 2011 11:25 AM in response to Jesse808

Wow! I bought the latest iPod Shuffle for the sole purpose of listening to podcasts easily; I already have an iPod Touch but it's inconvenient to use the touchscreen to pause/switch/adjust volume. I guess I'll be returning the Shuffle -- I can't believe I can't skip to the next podcast without a workaround. I'm disappointed and a little miffed!

Jan 4, 2011 12:28 PM in response to saber12

I don't know. My guess is that Apple doesn't see this as a bug that needs fixing. In their view, it's supposed to work this way, even though users may not like it or think its counter intuitive. Too bad.

In any case, I'm keeping my shuffle. I'm getting used to the awkward function of the skip and voice over buttons for podcasts.

Jan 4, 2011 6:49 PM in response to Jesse808

Thanks for the response! The blogs in this section gave me a good idea of what was going on. I called Apple Support and they told me to restore factory settings and then sync. Everything appears to be working. I press and hold the voiceover and then hit play when the right podcast is announced. This may be a little bulky, but at least it works. This question should be marked solved.

Jan 7, 2011 8:04 AM in response to Jesse808

According to the 4G Shuffle user manual you push the next FF button once to get next track.

Does it work? Nope.

Is it a BIG step back from all other Shuffles? Yes.

The workaround described above is a little more complex than outlined, given the teensy size of the 4G.

First, you have to use 2 hands and usually you must unclip the Shuffle from your collar or wherever you hang it. Second, there is VERY LITTLE free space on the front of the device which means you usually turn the pod off accidentally a few times before you get it right. Finally, the Voiceover button seems not to synch well with the Play button when selecting what podcast you want to hear next, so you try it a few times more.

I used to work for the government and this looks strikingly like an "improvement" dreamed up by a committee.

Thinking of buying a 4G? Don't bother - wait for the 5G where we hope this mess will be fixed.

Why can't I skip to "next track" when listening to podcasts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.