Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

JVC HDR60 USB "Cannot Play" 4.2.1

bought my HD radio car unit from the apple store over a year and a half ago, it worked just fine with my original iphone, it was also working just great with my iphone 3GS until the 4.2.1 update, now when plugged in via USB after about 2 minutes of the "reading" display, I get a "cannot read" message.. i've tried to downgrade to 4.2 (which was working just fine, as previous versions) but I get an error message from itunes explaining I am not authorized for the version I am trying to install... its been since thanksgiving that I am no longer able to use my iphone in my car via USB.. i've spent the money on a replacement iphone thinking it was my phone causing the problem, but no luck, i've replaced my jvc hdr60 with a newer model thinking that maybe my car unit was defective, but the same result.. almost about $600 spent, and im still stuck with no results.. i feel like i've wasted money trying to troubleshoot the issue.. apple telephone support is telling me that JVC is at fault, and the genius bar is trying to sell me yet another iphone to fix the problem, telling me that the iphone 4 is supported but the iphone 3gs isn't.. does anyone have a solution, or is apple sucking as much money out of me as possible at christmas time?

Mac Pro Quad 2.66, 4G, 4HD, iOS 4

Posted on Dec 23, 2010 11:21 PM

8 replies

Feb 28, 2011 4:21 PM in response to Jake Dettloff

I have the same issue with an iPhone 3GS running iOS 4.1. It worked fine with the HRD60 up until last week when I had synced my iPhone. I did not do the latest update when it prompted (which was 4.2.1).

My wife has an iPhone 3G with iOS 4.2.1 and it also does not work with the HDR60. I would suggest to you other posters to also raise this issue with JVC so both parties are aware of the issue. I will update any news I hear from the JVC side of things if I receive any.

Mar 1, 2011 8:57 AM in response to SeatownMusic

I've updated my iPhone 3GS to 4.2.1 but it still did not work with the hdr60.

JVC emailed back and suggested resetting the iphone by pressing and holding the homd and sleep buttons down until the phone turns off and the apple logo appears. This did not work either.

However, after resetting the hdr60 by pressing the "reset" pinhole under the faceplate it then started to work (Dont forget to write down your radio stations as they will be lost after the reset.)

Aug 14, 2013 9:37 AM in response to Aaron Flynn

Purchased a JVC KD-R540 deck to be able to use the USB port for my iPhone 5. Worked (mostly) fine until this morning when I received a "Cannot Play" message. I reset the phone, but no change. Finally I took the face off of the deck and found a recessed "Reset" button. I pushed it, and everything works again.

There is definitely an Apple issue, however, because I get the same kinds of "can't read" messages using the USB connection in our 2013 GMC Terrain.

Feb 24, 2015 8:20 AM in response to Aaron Flynn

I identified one of the bugs that causes the "CANNOT PLAY" message.

There must be at least one song file loaded on the phone with iTunes (accessible in the Music app) to not receive the "CANNOT PLAY" message.

This becomes significant if you're trying to play music out of other apps (like Pandora), but there is no other music actually loaded on the phone.

My guess is car stereo is looking for at least one file, and the iPhone pretends to be like a USB stick with its Music files on it. When you start playing other audio, it pretends to be other virtual files or something, but for the initial handshake at least one file seems to be required.

JVC HDR60 USB "Cannot Play" 4.2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.