Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 21,5inch (i3 - 3,06GHz) : Fan noise

Hello all,

I just received my new iMac 21,5inch, i3 3,06GHz.
Evertything was fine... but this morning, I eared a bad noise after the computer started : it's like a fan "hitting" something inside the iMac (something like a "tic tic tic tic tic").

Several minutes later, it disapeared ...

Now it's OK but I've noticed that the noise re-appears every time I touch (no need to "press" hardly) the iMac Alu housing : at the bottom of the glass, left of the Apple logo.

Is there anything I should do to avoid this ?

Thanks in advance,

Regards

Yoyo

iMac i3 3,06GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.2), iPhone 3G 3.1.3

Posted on Dec 24, 2010 1:53 AM

8 replies

Dec 24, 2010 7:51 AM in response to Yoyor94

On a new Mac it should be quiet, contact AppleCare immediately! The phone number is located in your owners manual, they will try to troubleshoot the problem however I think the machine should be replaced if it's new. If you bought it from Apple directly this should be easy if you bought from a reseller then you will need to deal with that reseller's return policies.

Roger

Dec 25, 2010 3:18 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for the feedback.

I've booked for a "Maintenance" meeting in an Apple store (Genius bar ?) for next wednesday.
I'll try to call applecare before but I'm afraid it's a hardware issue : today it did not disappear ...

By the way : will Apple Store Genius guy keep my computer ? Or will they repair / Replace it within the same day ? I'm worried to have no computer several weeks ...

Dec 25, 2010 4:42 PM in response to Yoyor94

Thanks for the feedback.

Your welcome

I've booked for a "Maintenance" meeting in an Apple store (Genius bar ?) for next wednesday.
I'll try to call applecare before but I'm afraid it's a hardware issue : today it did not disappear ...

That will get sorted out on your visit.

By the way : will Apple Store Genius guy keep my computer ? Or will they repair / Replace it within the same day ? I'm worried to have no computer several weeks ...

Assuming you bought the machine within the last 14 days from the Apple Store you can ask for a replacement. If they decide to repair it ask how long they will need it.

Dec 28, 2010 7:20 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Hello

I did call Apple.
They tried a PRAM Reset but did not change anything.
As I received the iMac since less than 14days, they'll pick it up back.
As it's a refurbished one, Apple cannot replace it : they'll reimburse me.

Anyhow: I'll just wait for the next Refurb "batch" and order another one 😉

Thanks for the messages.

Jan 1, 2011 7:33 AM in response to Marlove2

You problem is totally different. Because the 2010 iMacs have heat sensors integrated into the HD and previous models had a separate heat sensor you probably got the wrong HD. You should immediately remove it before you damage your computer and either:

*1. Re-instll the old 500 GB HD*

*2. Do better research to find the correct drive for your machine*

*3. Do #1 and get yourself a high quality EHD which is what I'd recommend.*

Because you probably already invalided your warranty any of the above options would work.

BTW: _Going forward please create your own thread, even though you can have similar symptoms the cause can be totally different._

Roger

iMac 21,5inch (i3 - 3,06GHz) : Fan noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.