Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBook PDF Files Display Problems

The iBook on my iPad has started acting erratic suddenly. I've NOT upgraded the iOS at all, it's still on its original version, 3.2.1. The problem pertains to the display of pdf files (magazines, books etc); I've got these files on iBook for quite some time already, and they displayed OK until now. The various symptoms are:

- when I tried to open a file, error msg says "Book Format Error - This book cannot be opened because the format is not recognized, or is invalid". It's a pdf file! If I leave the file alone for quite some time, I may be able to open it successfully.
- after I open a file, the words are blurry and cannot focus properly.
- after I open a file, the pages are blank.
- the book icon has no image, just the default beige colour with the book title.
- the book icon (cover) takes on the image of a totally different file, e.g. The Economist magazine will show the National Geographic cover instead.
- sometimes the iBook app will crash.

Note that some files will display OK, but others will encounter the above problems. A file may be OK now and problematic later.

Here's what I tried to fix the problem, but no use:
- restarted iPad.
- ensure that memory is above 100MB (in case it's related to memory; iPad has 256MB in total memory from what I know).
- removed all books/magazines, and re-installed a smaller set. Note that all the files displayed perfectly before.
- removed the iBook app, download on iTunes, and re-install.

Note that my epub format books are OK all these while. Only the pdf books/mags are affected. Please help!

iPad version 3.2.1, Other OS

Posted on Dec 24, 2010 4:01 AM

2 replies

Dec 24, 2010 11:20 AM in response to randomstreet

Hi and welcome.....

. I've NOT upgraded the iOS at all,

You're having problems with iBooks as a result of not updating your iPad software.

Read here:

iBooks requires 4.2 iBooks: Viewing, syncing, saving, and printing PDFs on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

"iBooks 1.2 for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch requires iOS 4.2 or later."

Connect your iPad to your computer. Launch iTunes. Under the Summary tab click: Check for Update

Carolyn 🙂

Dec 25, 2010 7:11 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for your kind welcome and help.

My iBooks app originally worked perfectly with the iOS 3.2.1. I must have done the update of iBooks version subsequently. I've got my reasons for wanting to stay on 3.2.1 for the moment, so looks like I'm stuck with the problem for the time being.

Is there a way for me to revert back to the first version of iBooks?

iBook PDF Files Display Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.