Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change Apple ID on iPad?

Hey Guys ~

I have posted this question every where and no one seems to know how to help me. I changed my email address at iTunes. Which is my ID, obviously. But it is all set up at itunes, and on my iPad too, via settings.

But ~

When I go to update my 11 updates, it pops up with my old ID/email, which no longer is operating.

So I can't update my apps or purchase from itunes through my iPad. Yes, I have gone to Settings, and signed out, signed back in, with NEW ID/email, and that is all good...

But updating my apps ~ still has my old email.

Help? Please?

HP, iPad 64 with 3G and wifi

Posted on Dec 24, 2010 6:42 AM

213 replies

Apr 28, 2017 2:58 AM in response to SweetPoison54

App downloads are forever tied to the Apple ID that originally downloaded/purchased them and there is no way to transfer them. If you created a new Apple ID, then you'll need to delete these apps and redownload them with your new Apple ID, which unfortunately will result in some data loss. If all you changed was your primary email address, then consult this article:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204071

Dec 24, 2010 10:10 AM in response to SweetPoison54

Do you mean you dated your actual AppleID to new address? You did not create a new iTunes account, correct?
When you get the popup filled in with the previous AppleID, just change it to the updated ID.
iTunes gets the iTunes info from the app/music and the iTunesID used to purchase is embedded in the file at time of purchase, so it will always do this.

Dec 24, 2010 4:04 PM in response to SweetPoison54

*Do you mean you dated your actual AppleID to new address? You did not create a new iTunes account, correct?*
*When you get the popup filled in with the previous AppleID, just change it to the updated ID.*
*iTunes gets the iTunes info from the app/music and the iTunesID used to purchase is embedded in the file at time of purchase, so it will always do this.*

I am not sure what you mean by "dated your actual apple ID to new address" That makes no sense to me.

It IS all changed to the Apple ID. On iTunes, and in Settings on the iPad.

BUT......

When I go to update my apps, you must log in to your account, and the OLD ID is still there.

Do you understand now?

Dec 24, 2010 4:50 PM in response to SweetPoison54

I am not sure what you mean by "dated your actual apple ID to new address" That makes no sense to me.

Did you update your AppleID or did you create a new AppleID with a new emaill address?
When I go to update my apps, you must log in to your account, and the OLD ID is still there.

Go to the app store, click on Featured at the bottom, scroll all the way down, click on Account then sign out and sign in.

Dec 24, 2010 5:05 PM in response to SweetPoison54

*Did you update your AppleID or did you create a new AppleID with a new emaill address?*

Thanks, Chris for helping me. I have posted this in 6 places online and no one will touch it!

Shitums. I can't recall, Chris. I was on the phone with Apple and they walked me through all of it. They changed my email/ID, to my new one, then I went into itunes and changed it. Then I went to settings on iPad and changed it and all was good! So we hung up.

Then I went to update all my apps and up pops the OLD ID. BUT if you go into settings the new one is present as is on iTunes.:( I have also synced twice and backed up, thinking that would tell the iPad update thingy the new ID.

*Go to the app store, click on Featured at the bottom, scroll all the way down, click on Account then sign out and sign in.*

I will do this now!

Don't forget me!

Okay. I'm on it. This doesn't sound like something I have tried in the last 24 hours.

Dec 24, 2010 5:19 PM in response to SweetPoison54

Chris. What do you think about this?

I signed out again, like you said, and about to sign back in. It is asking me: "use existing accoutnt" or Create new account"

I have been saying Use Existing Account. Perhaps I should try Create New one? But what if that really messes things up. Because it says my new one all over the ipad, just not when I try to update.

Dec 24, 2010 5:37 PM in response to SweetPoison54

*You need to use the existing account that the apps you are trying to update, were purchased with.*

But Chris, I can't use that one. That is what started all of this, I went to update and it stated that "this ID has been disabled" Then I realized I changed my email recently. THe old one is deleted. Hence all these problems.

So Apple walked me through it and we put the current email as my ID. It works everywhere, except when updating. Still states the old ID.

But in itunes and settings, it has the new one!

Dumb.

Dec 25, 2010 3:38 AM in response to SweetPoison54

Well Chris ~ not that you are ever coming back, but the problem is solved! I noticed that the red number 12 on the app button was gone, so I tapped it and it states all apps are up to date!

I am surely confused. Perhaps it took 24-48-72 hours to update the new ID with regards to updating? Who knows. I am curious to see what ID is there on the next update.

Thanks, Chris. Out of 6 sites I posted this question, You were the only one that helped me. Or at least tried!

Feb 11, 2011 10:58 AM in response to Steveaux

you either have to delete and upload all those apps so you will be able to update them or

No need to delete anything. Just make sure you are logged into the iTunes or App store with the account used to purchase those apps.
OPen iTune sor the App store and scroll to teh bottom of the page to see which account is signe din.
have the person who downloaded the apps type in their password so the apps can be updated.
Is this correct?

Yes.

How to change Apple ID on iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.