Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon MG 5220 Prints, but will not Scan from iMac on wifi

Just installed this Canon MG 5220 wireless all-in-one... and it prints perfectly. However, attempts to scan using either the device itself, or the provided software are futile.

I get an error message stating "cannot communicate with scanner." All the appropriate software has been installed, both devices are powered on, the wifi network is working perfectly, and of course the scanner function works as well.

Any ideas or help are much appreciated.

2010 iMac 21', Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 24, 2010 8:02 AM

8 replies

Mar 28, 2011 11:15 PM in response to Aliantha74

I have the same problem. Unfortunately I can't "browse devices" from a menu on image capture. The triangle normally used to display available devices shows nothing.

I can only get the scanner to show up in image capture if I share it on my network (which I don't want to). Then, I can scan.

I also can use the scanner if I use "Sys pref->print & fax-> scanners, select MG 5220->open scanner.

but in mpNavigator...still, no dice. 'Scanner not connected". Drives me nuts.

Mar 30, 2011 6:20 AM in response to RedKamel

Similar problem.
I cannot find my printer scanner cannon Pixma MP560 in image capture. It shows in system prefs.
However, I am using the Canon with my network. It was **** to set up but then worked well. I can send from my mac and my MBAir. And scan to the mac, I haven't tried to the air.
Then it all went wrong. Probably my fault.
I had to connect the scanner with usb to restart it. Then take out the USB and it continued to work.
I am a little dis-inclined to make changes as it works unless anybody can give me a reason for doing so.
By the way, the Cannon is much slower than my old HP. Seems to take a long time thinking before anything happens. You almost think it has gone wrong again!
John

Sep 4, 2011 6:13 PM in response to alice104

I'm having the same problem, but with a MacBookAir. From my wired iMac, I can print and scan to my wireless MG5220. From my wireless MBA, I can print. The scanner shows up, but gives me the communication error when I try to access it. I'm using a Cisco Valet Plus router.

Has anybody been able to scan from their wireless MG5220 on a wireless Mac? If so, what router are you using?

Canon MG 5220 Prints, but will not Scan from iMac on wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.