Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Reads "Not Charging" with iPad Power Adapter

Hi,

When I connect my iPad to the 10W USB Power Adapter that came with my iPad, the iPad reads "Not Charging" but actually is charging. Half an hour later, the charge goes up. Also, when I connect my iPad to my Mac (which isn't extremely old - only a 2008 model), it does not charge and it's not recognized in iTunes at all. I have tried restarting the iPad, computer, and held down the Home/Power Button for 10 seconds until I see the Apple logo. I've performed all system updates and before this issue, I had updated my iPad with iOS 4.2 with the same computer.

Tech Specs:
iMac Early 2008 - Mac OS X 10.6.5 - iTunes 10.1.1
iPad - iOS 4.2.1

Thanks for any help!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.5), Early 2008

Posted on Dec 24, 2010 8:44 AM

17 replies

Dec 24, 2010 3:42 PM in response to Philly_Phan

I tried holding down Sleep/Home and then got the Connect to iTunes Graphic? I tried that and it's still not connecting into iTunes. I turned it via the Sleep button (no red slider, just went black) then turned it back on via the Sleep button. It came up with my screen exactly the way it was before (the data wasn't reset).
Still not connecting to iTunes...still not charging with adapter....any more suggestions?
Thanks again everybody! Merry Christmas!

P.S. Carolyn - I'm using the adapter that came WITH the iPad. Thanks for the suggestion thought...I appreciate it.

Message was edited by: jordang521

Dec 26, 2010 5:46 PM in response to Macsceptic

Macsceptic wrote:
Same exact problem. New iPad and new iMac. It will not charge with supplied wall charger and iTunes will not recognize the iPad. I tried all the items posted but it will not solve the problem. Help us Apple!

They're not going to help you from here. You need to dial your telephone to reach them. 800-275-2273 (U.S. and probably also Canada).

Dec 27, 2010 10:48 PM in response to Macsceptic

Wow ,, Im in shock with what I'm reading but some what relieved.. My lovely lady surprised me with an iPad for Xmas,( which was awesome ). Day 1 Sync'd & charged no problem. Day 2 same . Day 3 I lost all ability to charge with provided oem charger and and sync as well. I have tried all recommended options listed on this forum (which is always very helpful ) but now I fear I'm out of luck.. There are apple stores everywhere here in NYC, but we got pounded with two feet of snow yesterday and today, so I'm stuck for now .. Any more ideas would be a X MAS MIRACLE! happy new year and thanks..

Dec 28, 2010 4:20 AM in response to Xfishkillr1@

Went to the Apple Store last night. The tech tried a new power adaptor which didn't work. He then tried updating the OS and the firmware which also didn't work so he gave me a replacement. It's a brown box replacement with OS 3.2.2 and so far so good re: the charging issue. I've yet to upgrade it to 4.2 and am somewhat reluctant to do so but probably will eventually. So for now all is good and my advice to others with the same problem is bring it back to the store.

iPad Reads "Not Charging" with iPad Power Adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.