Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Shuffle Won't Sync Playlist (too large)

I have a brand new iPod Shuffle 4th Gen and when I try to sync it with a playlist, it says that there's not enough room on the iPod for the entire playlist. I've read that the iPod shuffle should only fill part of the playlist if it is too big (which is what I want to happen), but that's not happening with mine. It just gives the error that the playlist is too large and then will not sync.
The only settings that I've changed from the default is to select the playlist from which I want the shuffle to randomly fill music.
Any ideas?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 25, 2010 5:27 AM

14 replies

Jan 11, 2011 5:00 PM in response to PT

I finally found out how to do this. Apparently, most Apple staff don't actually know about this and will give you unhelpful, curt answers such as "Create a smaller playlist". (Geniuses?!? I don't think so...)

In iTunes, under devices, click the arrow to left of your ipod to bring a dropdown list of music. Click on music and then in the bottom of the window should be a field that says 'Autofill from: xxxxxx' where xxxx is a dropdown that you can scroll thru all of your playlists. Once you have chosen the playlist you want, you click the autofill button on the lower right and this should do exactly what you want.

Jan 12, 2011 8:27 AM in response to Renshae

1. plug your iPod. iTunes should start.
2. eject your iPod and close iTunes.
3. go to "Device Manager\Disk drives" and you should see Apple IPod USB Device
4. Uninstall the drivers
5. take the iPod out of the dock and insert it back in. Now Windows should reinstall the drivers for it, and it should work fine.

Or you follow this page reviews about [how to transfer iPod to computer on PC or Mac|http://www.softwarebbs.com/wiki/IPod/iPhone/iPad To_Computer_Transfer_%26_Backup_SoftwareReviews].
Cheers!

Jan 17, 2011 9:10 AM in response to GeePhunk

I am having this exact same problem, and GeePhunk's reply seems promising. I found the dropdown list, clicked on "music" but can't find the field that says "autofill" that is supposed to be in the bottom of the window. GeePhunk, can you tell me where I'm supposed to see "autofill"? Is it in the colored pane to the left? Is it on the gray line on the bottom? I really, really want to be able to autofill.

Jan 17, 2011 9:13 AM in response to GeePhunk

GeePhunk wrote:
I finally found out how to do this. Apparently, most Apple staff don't actually know about this and will give you unhelpful, curt answers such as "Create a smaller playlist". (Geniuses?!? I don't think so...)

This is a user-to-user forum. Non one who responds to you here works for Apple. Everyone is a volunteer. If you don't like advice, ignore it. Being rude will tend to get you less help in the future.

Best of luck.

Jul 7, 2011 11:40 AM in response to Renshae

I have worked this out. I was struggling to find the 'Autofill' option in v10.3.1 too.

Here is how to autofill an iPod Shuffle from a Playlist:

- Connect the iPod Shuffle

- In iTunes, click the device name in 'Devices' in the left-hand panel and tick 'Manually manage music' in the Summary tab

- DON'T tick 'Sync Music' in the Music tab, this will untick 'Manually manage music'

- Click the little triange to the left of the device name in 'Devices' to reveal a 'Music' sub-category

- Click the 'Music' sub-category under the device name in 'Devices', then you should see the 'Autofill from:' option at the bottom of the main window. Select the playlist from the dropdown.

Hope this works for everyone else

Dec 9, 2011 11:44 PM in response to Renshae

Renshae-

Not sure if what Paul Mike or ChippyDeluxe have proposed works or not, but I figured out another way to do it also using Smart Playlists --

If you have a playlist that is larger than your iPod, and you just want your iPod to select a random selection of songs from your large playlist (as opposed to your entire iTunes library), you can do it by creating a "Smart Playlist" (as opposed to a regular playlist).

To create a "Smart Playlist", go to File - New Smart Playlist and, when setting up the rules for the Smart Playlist, just select "Playlist" "is" "(select name of your large playlist)" and then in the limit section of the rules limit the size of your Smart Playlist to whatever the size of your iPod is (I eventually had to guessimate the number of "items" (read: songs) that my 4GB iPod could generally fit -- about 690) -- and then limit the Smart Playlist to 690 items selected randomly from the original playlist. Then, when syncing my iPod, I select only the Smart Playlist I created to sync and viola - a random selection of songs from my large original playlist is synced with my iPod -- whew! 🙂

Dec 22, 2011 8:18 PM in response to ChippyDeluxe

ChippyDeluxe, your solution worked for me. My iPod shuffle 4G would appear to synch but the songs were "grayed" and I couldn't get iTunes to recognize the iPod. I also went in to the Device Manager like Paul Mike recommended and had to delete the driver and then plug the iPod back in. Computer recognized the new device, installed new driver, and now it appears to work fine. Thanks all, SemperP.

Apr 22, 2015 11:55 AM in response to Brandito

For latest version of iTunes (12.*.*) this solution works great for me. I have a single, basic favorites playlist that I continually add new songs to, it's about 5GB worth of music. I created a Smart Playlist following these instructions, 1800 MB in size (I'm using voiceover on my 2GB iPod shuffle which leaves about 1.9 GB of free space for music) and sync.

Works great, thanks for the tip!

iPod Shuffle Won't Sync Playlist (too large)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.