Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Poor video playback full screen...

I have the new unibody mac mini, however I find that when I play full screen in VLC player or quicktime, it goes jerky after like 30s to 1 minute. However when I exit full screen mode it plays fine again, or if I exit and enter full screen it will also play OK for another like a minute... what is wrong with my mini? My P4 intel PC plays full screen video better than that...

Mac mini 2.66GHz with 2GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 25, 2010 6:29 AM

6 replies

Jun 6, 2012 6:09 PM in response to Dr Joolz

I bought the 2010 MacMini Server and reformatted the drives to install the non-server 10.6.8v2. Other than an audio over HDMI issue under 10.6.8 v1, I have had no playback issues in any other programs. I don't use VLC. I do use this on my 1080p TV though. Everything runs fullscreen just fine in Quicktime 7, Quicktime X, iTunes, Safari, Firefox, and using additional codecs from Perian and Flip4Mac. Note: With the current version of Perian, I also have no need to install Divx. Divx used to cause stutter problems on previous computers, but Perian fixed that on them. The HD content I play is all Apple TV and Apple TV2 format (per HandBrake's presets.) Everything else is a mixture of mp4, m4v, avi (DivX / XviD), mov, wmv, mpg, mp2, m2t (Comcast HD DVR), .TS, and so on.

I use the 2010 server version for a media center at home and the 2010 non-server version for video editing and testing at work.

The MacMini 2010 Server uses the same mobo as the non-server. Default RAM is 4GB. HDD's are 7200rpm. I think the non-server might use a 5400 rpm HDD. Never had a problem with 2 GB RAM on the non-server 2010 I have at work when playing back full screen, though we eventually upgraded to 8 GB because of the video editing.

Personally, I think it's likely a VLC problem, or an inefficient codec that you have installed.

Poor video playback full screen...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.