Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trackpad won't pair with iMac

My early 2008 iMac won't pair with my new Trackpad. Is this a known issue? Do I need a double-secret-probation software update (I update religiously). Do I have to return the trackpad?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 25, 2010 7:10 AM

14 replies

Jan 23, 2011 12:44 PM in response to rowdoc

Both devices should be able to pair at the same time. Try these actions in this order. First Repair Disk Permissions in Disk Utility (Applications - Utilities - Disk Utility) and if then try it, if that doesn't work then do a SMC Reset using the following instructions. And if that doesn't work then restart the computer in Safe Mode and try to pair there.

*SMC RESET*

• Shut down the computer.
• Unplug the computer's power cord and all peripherals.
• Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
• Release the power button.
• Attach the computers power cable.
• Press the power button to turn on the computer.

*PRAM RESET*

• Shut down the computer.
• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
• Turn on the computer.
• Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
• Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.

Roger

Jan 29, 2011 6:18 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you for your detailed instructions. I did everything you suggested to the letter, including SMC reset and PRAM reset, but unfortunately it did not work. Bluetooth still finds my trackpad, but pairing is unsuccessful.

Any other suggestions? You suggested I should start in Safe Mode, but I do not know how to do that.

Jan 29, 2011 6:27 PM in response to rowdoc

To startup in Safe Mode, the knowledge base article Roger pointed to says:

To start up into Safe Mode (to Safe Boot), do this:

1. Be sure the computer is shut down.
2. Press the power button.
3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone but not before.
4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

Apr 8, 2011 12:44 PM in response to rowdoc

I had a similar problem when I changed my hard drive in snow leopard. Bluetooth would search, find my MTP but when I clicked 'continue' it would say 'pairing unsuccessful'.
I got it to work by going to :
System preferences>bluetooth>choose as favorite (gear wheel thingy) click '+' lower left>set up assistant, find MTP, click on it- this appears:

Your computer is already paired with that device. Do you wish to remove the pairing and set up the device again?

Click continue and voila!

Feb 11, 2013 7:24 AM in response to iSean007

I have a variation on all this. I bought my Trackpad a little while ago with a wireless kepad. Both have worked fine. Knowing I was going away for a long weekend, I shut down my iMac. On re-starting it, the keypad is fine, but the Trackpad won't pair with the mothership. I've changed the batteries, tried Pablo's fix - nothing. Anyone any thoughts on this?

Trackpad won't pair with iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.