Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerBook G4 Kernel Panic - can't re-start

I have a 6 year old PowerBook.
I think I threw away a file I really shouldn't have.
And now, every time I start it up, it shows the 'You need to restart your computer...' in several languages, which I guess is a Kernel Panic.
I have, in the meantime, bought a 27" iMac 2.8 GHz i5, and I can get in to the PowerBook through Firewire/Target Mode, no problem. So there's no worries about losing stuff. I just can't get the PB to start up on its own.
I'm thinking to start up from the OSX disc (I have the wife's Leopard disc), I'd need to have the PB running to insert the disc before re-booting?
At a bit of a loss what to do here, any ideas?
Thanks in anticipation.

PowerBook G4 17 2Gb Ram/iMac 2.8 i5, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 26, 2010 7:57 AM

4 replies

Dec 26, 2010 10:05 AM in response to Steve Denton

software could cause kernel panics, but it could be a hardware issue also

if you are able to insert the installation disc, just keep the power button down until the PowerBook shuts off, then restart and press "c" on keyboard right away to force booting from optical drive

if PowerBook goes to target mode, you can insert the installation disc while in target mode, shut down and restart

Dec 26, 2010 10:12 AM in response to Steve Denton

I'm thinking to start up from the OSX disc (I have the wife's Leopard disc)

That won't work if it's a gray system install/restore disk from another Mac model. It it's a full retail install disk, it will have the files you computer needs and should work.

Can you start in Safe Mode? Hold the SHIFT key down during startup under you see a confirmation that it's in safe mode. That does some disk checking. If you get a stable desktop, don't use the computer yet. Try a normal start after a successful safe mode boot.

Do you have any idea of what file you deleted? Have you emptied the Trash since deleting the file?

If Safe Mode doesn't restore function, it at least may let you slip in the install disk (again, assuming it's a full retail install version). If you get it in, restart holding the "c" key to boot from the install disk

Dec 27, 2010 3:03 AM in response to Allan Jones

Like I say, the PowerBook is 6, 6 1/2 years old now, and I've moved from England to Denmark (and twice in Denmark) since I bought it, so I'm really not sure where the original disc is, but then that would be, what? OSX 10.3? I was running Leopard (the last Power PC version up-date) on it, and I've got the official Apple install DVD of Leopard that the wife installed on her Mac Mini. I think it's actually a 'Family' version, as we always buy them to be on the safe side.

I've tried starting in 'Safe Mode', but it just waits a second or two longer, before showing the 'you need to restart your computer', message.

I have a feeling that what I deleted, was a file, or folder, called 'Usr', something like that. I was deleting files and programmes (in preparation for switching to the new iMac and using the PB as a 'netbook') and noticed this folder in my home folder. I didn't recognise it, thought I hadn't seen it in that window before, so wondered if I'd been hacked. Put it in the trash - I don't think I emptied the trash - and re-started. Then got the 'you need to restart your computer', message.

I'll go see if I can find an installation disc for the PB, or give it a go with the Leopard disc.

Dec 27, 2010 4:50 AM in response to Steve Denton

I'd like to say a big 'thank you', to arnie and Allan.

I took courage and inserted the Leopard disc, then re-started whilst holding 'C' down. Followed on-screen instructions and went for an 'erase and install', as this was in effect what I was attempting to do when it all went wrong (and I'd got all my photos and iTunes on a back up hard drive, and I'd got the few programmes I really wanted off it through the Target Mode attempt yesterday).

It all took about an hour or so, but now opens and starts up as a 6 year old PowerBook should - slow, but sure.

Currently downloading up-dates to OSX and iTunes.

Thank you again for your advice, it's most appreciated.

Steve.

PowerBook G4 Kernel Panic - can't re-start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.