Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV and connecting to computer

I just got Apple TV2 yesterday for Christmas so I'm new and I'm sorry if this is a dumb question.
Does my iTunes need to be open on my computer in order to use the "Computers" menu? That is what is happening and I don't know if that is correct or not.

I seem to be having the same problem with my REMOTE app and iTunes. It doesn't seem like iTunes should have to be open to use the ATV.
Thanks for any help

21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Dec 26, 2010 5:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2010 5:27 PM

The new Apple TV has no content storage. It either gets streams from the Internet (Netflix, rentals, etc) or from other devices. That is why you need a source (iTunes) or an iPod, iPad, iPhone to stream data. You can control the ATV2 using the Remote app. Support has the how to's for the ATV2 and Remote app.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2010 5:27 PM in response to Stephanie Patterson

The new Apple TV has no content storage. It either gets streams from the Internet (Netflix, rentals, etc) or from other devices. That is why you need a source (iTunes) or an iPod, iPad, iPhone to stream data. You can control the ATV2 using the Remote app. Support has the how to's for the ATV2 and Remote app.

Dec 26, 2010 5:37 PM in response to Stephanie Patterson

Hello,

Okay so the deal with iTunes is that it has to be running in order for you to view your movies, pictures, tv shows, ect. But think of Apple TV as iTunes store. You can still buy and rent movies and TV shows without iTunes running. So the bottom line, you have to have iTunes running to watch your purchased items from iTunes.

The remote app confused me at first. But I got it to work. Here is a list of steps that you must take to get your Remote app to work.
1. Install the app
2. Turn on "Home Sharing"
3. Click "Add iTunes Library"
4. Type in your apple id and password
5. Click the Done button at the top
6. Then click apple tv
7. Click the name of your library
8. go to bottom and click control
9. Enjoy!

Apple TV and connecting to computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.