Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air Hinge

I've got an my macbook air more than a year ago and for no special reason the the hinge broke a few days ago, the apple support store told me that it will cost sth like 700 USD to change the hinge as it is with the body, but I dont think it worth to pay that much for a device I have been using for mroe than a year, anyone has a clue what should I do to have it fixed at a reasonable price?

MACBook Air, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Posted on Dec 26, 2010 11:16 PM

4 replies

Feb 10, 2011 11:13 AM in response to Golnaz

Symptoms

Learn what you can do if you experience one or more of these issues with the hinges on your MacBook Air.
Unable to close lid completely.
Broken or cracked plastic near one or both of the hinges.
More than one inch (2.54cm) of free play while opening or closing the lid.
Lid falls freely into closed position from a 30-degree open position. (From a closed position, open the lid approximately 30 degrees and let go.)
Products Affected

MacBook Air
Resolution

You can take your MacBook Air to an Apple-Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store for evaluation and repair if necessary, even if your product is out of warranty.

If you previously paid for a repair for hinge-related issues that were not caused by accidental damage, you may be eligible for a refund.

Jun 17, 2011 10:21 AM in response to Golnaz

Mine did the same. Began to make sounds. Then cracked to the point i literally had to use duct tape to keep it closed as i was traveling offshore. Then one day, broke into two pieces. Took it to the Apple store where i bought it. They blamed the damage on me which was so not true, told me it would cost $700 and take a week. A young employee slipped me a note giving me the name of the local repair shop they outsourced to instead. So I drove there. They were SO helpful. The young guy looked it over and told me it MIGHT be covered by warrenty. Called me two days later telling me come pick it up. How much i asked? Nothing, it was covered under warrnety. So see? The store is for selling, not for service.......

MacBook Air Hinge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.