Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Book World Ed 1TB

Hi there!

I have a WD My Book World Ed with all my movies, pictures and backup data connected to my router. With any Windows PC i can see it in explorer easy. But for some reason i cannot see the shares in my Macbook pro. It can see the MBWed and try's to connect but fail's.

Do i have to configure something in the macbook?

Thanks!
VA

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 8:37 AM

9 replies

Jan 4, 2011 2:34 AM in response to Victor Afonso

Hello Victor,

For a first connection, you may have to enter the user name and password. The MyBookWorld name should appear in the Sidebar of a Finder window. Normally, simply double-clicking on that should connect as "Guest" and show two folders, Download and Public. If it refuses the connection, click on the Connect As… button in the top right-hand corner and enter "admin" in both the Name and Password fields, then click Connect.
After that, you should be able to highlight Public in the window and double-click to access everything in that directory.

HTH

Archie

Jan 13, 2011 10:39 AM in response to Archie Robertson

I have the exact same problem. But can't do any troubleshooting steps because there is no MyBookWorld in the shared section in Finder. When I hit Go>connect to the server, it says 'connection failed'. Can anyone help???

Jan 13, 2011 12:16 PM in response to Archie Robertson

My macbook is connecting wireless via airport, the mybookworld is connected via ethernet to the router, the power's connected and the status light is on... I've reset and restarted the mybookworld and restarted the macbook.
How do I access it through the web interface? I'm not sure what to try to connect to. Could that be my problem?

thank you!!

Jan 14, 2011 11:00 AM in response to Community User

Have you managed to access it ever?

If no, log on to you router and find the IP number for your WD NAS, enter the IP number into Safari/Firefox to get to the Web interface for managing you NAS. Log in with default administrator user name and password, Get into advanced mode, find the part where you configure how to get connected to you Wi-Fi and replace DHCP with static IP and the correct information for your router. Create a user account for yourself with administrator rights. This should allow you to access via ssh.

"In house Wi-Fi" or WLAN should let you log in as a Guest without a problem, if the setup is complete

If yes, and also after performing "if no", if you have/when you have a user account and if you know the server/NAS IP you can always try ssh access via terminal. in terminal issue the following:

ssh username@XXX.XXX.X.XXX

where XXX.XXX.X.XXX should be the NAS IP. If you get connected (you see a lonely -$: in terminal) server access works. ctrl+d will terminate connection.

See if you can get any response from your server following this!

Feb 12, 2011 11:22 PM in response to gusgrave

Hi, I am having the same problem.

It has been working fine for a month and then I restarted my macbook and i can't connect to the disk anymore. Although just before I restarted, I was trying to play movies wirelessly through eyetvconnect and my ps3 (which had also been working fine for a month), but it couldnt play them anymore because of a 'DLNA error.'

I have WDMB World Edition 2 connected via ethernet to my airport extreme. Airport extreme is connected to the internet via ethernet through my broadband modem. I have tried to logon to the WDMB web interface but it just times out, have tried pinging and it has 100% packet loss.

I can see the had drive in the finder sidebar. When i click on it, it just says 'connecting' but doesn't do anything.

One strange thing, is that since ive restarted my macbook, also under the 'shared' heading in the finder sidebar is 'Macbook-001EC20930AC.' This has never been there before. Is that my macbook or someone else's? My wireless network has a pretty good password on it, so I have doubts it could be someone else?

I did update the airport software the other day, perhaps this is the/part of the issue?

Any help you can provide is great, thank you!

Feb 14, 2011 1:09 PM in response to Victor Afonso

Found this WD manual on line. Check page 82 for connecting to the WD drive as administrator.

www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705013.pdf

I am working through similar problems with my 1TB World Book. Initial 230GB time machine backup looked like a 72 hour marathon (720KB maximum transfer rate to Worldbook through wireless connection to DSL modem where the World Book was plugged in to the ethernet port). Am looking to borrow a router to see if speed increases.

Attempted an ethernet cross-over cable to see if I could increase throughput. Bad idea. Went back to the wireless connection and Time Machine can see the Drive but not the backup file that has already started. Is ready and raring to go with a new backup but I'm looking to wait until I can try the router to see if I get better data throughput. (Am also expecting to receive new iMac on Thursday so may just hook up the old machine to the new one and then start Time Machine on that!).

Found other forum postings suggesting updating the WD firmware. This is done through the Network Storage Manager (page 82 and following in the referenced manual). Relatively painless and clear process.

My Book World Ed 1TB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.