Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't move buttons or text items in my DVD menus

I recently switched from an older PowerMac to an Intel machine, and I'm having an issue with DVD Studio that I can't even find references to, let alone solutions to.

I'm using DVDSP 4.2.1 on a Quad Core Intel Xeon, 5GB of RAM, running OS 10.6.5.

Items in the menus I create are no longer movable using click and drag. That includes buttons, and text items. I can single-click select them, and then nudge them around with the arrow keys just fine. But if I click on an item and try to drag it, all it does is de-select the item.

Interestingly, if I click and drag, and stop dragging when my cursor is over a different item, that one will be selected. But the initial item I clicked on won't be affected at all. I also noticed that the "Open Recent" option is not tracking recently opened projects. I don't know if that's related though.

If I double click and drag (holding the second click) I can move items with the cursor. It even works on multiple items. I have to be quick though.

This issue (not being able to move items) happens in previously created projects, as well as newly created projects. Although in newly created projects, it's only text items that become un-movable. Buttons are still movable, even if I close the project, and re-open it. Text items become un-movable immediately.

I've tried trashing the prefs, no dice. I tried repairing permissions. No dice. I even used FCS remover, uninstalled the entire Final Cut suite, and reinstalled, and I've got the same problem.

Any ideas out there at all?

MacPro 2.66 Quad Xeon, Mac OS X (10.6.5), 5GB RAM

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 11:07 AM

8 replies

Nov 8, 2012 9:12 AM in response to morobbins

Hey Morobbins!

I know this is an old discussion but can't find too may other problems with this. I've got the same problem trying to move text. I can move buttons no problem but text just suddenly won't move anymore. It's worked fine for years. Tried everything, reboot, trashed preferences etc. I use the arrow keys to place which is slow but works. Just curious if you ever figured out the problem.

Thanks

Mar 14, 2013 12:19 PM in response to TenRyan

well go to the user tips in this forum and check out fcp troubleshooting tips.

A bunch of things to try.

Also, the only way to make sure your system is dependable is to clone your startup drive when everythings working so if things go south, you can quickly get things back to a working state. If you've got a macpro, yolu can clone to a second internal drive and be back at work in minutes. There's a user tip about that also.

Can't move buttons or text items in my DVD menus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.