Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

One File (But Only 1) shows as an icon in List View of a Finder Window

Finder windows has one inconsistency, but only for this one file, which is a JPG photo. In list view with the option to not show thumbnails (under Command J) Then I get generic JPG badges for each file. If I select: "Show as Icon" then I get a small photo icon for each photo. So far, so good. The problem is with one individual photo file. It always shows as a photo icon, regardless of how I set the checkbox for Show as Icon within a finder Window by sing Command J. So the problem seems to be with that individual file by itself. Using Command I for Show Information on the individual files does not give me any options or clues about how to control the presentation of the icon on its individual files.

Looking at the same image but with different file names or paths, then everything is normal and as it should be. The simple answer is simply erase the "goofy" file and replace it with a new version, but I want to understand what the OS is doing. The same issue with the same file was under OSX 3 and 4. I have 10.6 Snow Leopard now, but the issues was there with Tiger and so on.

An ideas?

iMac 20", Mac OS X (10.6.4), Long Live the Mac!

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 11:28 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_fork

Sounds like your file doesn't have one.
4 replies

Dec 27, 2010 12:54 PM in response to Boris the Loud Listener

It always shows as a photo icon

It sounds as if the file has its own custom icon, which is different from the "icon preview" that the system constructs on the fly when a custom icon is not present and you have also checked the "show icon preview" box in View Options. If you want to remove a custom icon, do a Get Info on the file, click on the icon at the top left to select it, and hit command-X.

One File (But Only 1) shows as an icon in List View of a Finder Window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.