Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPlay music streaming stops between songs

When I play music through AirPlay to an AirPort Extreme, the stream will stop between songs. The iTunes keeps on playing, but I hear nothing. It just stops streaming as soon as the current track ends. I tried with crossfading tracks a couple of seconds, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If I stream from my iPhone there's no problem at all, so I guess this is an iTunes' software problem and not an AirPort Express' hardware problem. In the past, with previous version of iTunes, I could stream music without this interruptions between songs. Any idea about how to fix this? It's a very annoying problem.

MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 11:49 AM

162 replies

Apr 11, 2011 7:03 AM in response to ascain

I've got the same issue and it's very disappointing !

I've everything with the last version (Mac Book Pro - ATV2 - iPhone 4) and
the streaming stop between songs (iTune continue to play the song but no sound
....).
I must click on the "previous" button and then the stream work again .... till the
next song !

If Apple can do something would be great and the less they should do.

I'm a little upset

Apr 14, 2011 8:16 AM in response to ascain

Same problem here

Airplay's been working great for past 5 months to sync two soundsystems in an 800 sqft apt.

Just the past few days it's been doing the cut-out-after-playing-first-song bug.

If i switch from multiple speakers to solo, or re-start the track (even just move the progress bar), the sound kicks back in. If i let it play on multiple speakers, it stops.

I've rebooted every device; but it still happens.

Even with ancient music that I ripped myself - so it's not music-time dependent.

Seems to be a systemic glitch; hope they fix soon.

meanwhile system is unusable in multi-speaker config.

Apr 24, 2011 11:56 AM in response to shakypremise

This is deeper than iTunes. Airplay is cutting out from my iMac using iTunes, Airplay or Airfoil, using any application. When streaming from an iPhone 4 using iOs 4.2.3 there's no problem. I think it's related to the last Mac OS security update in 10.6.7.

I've repaired permissions, restarted my router and Airport Express Base Station. Sometimes it's fine for half an hour, and then all of a sudden, blap.

iMac 2.66Ghz, Intel Core 2

Airport Express 802.11n

Firmware 7.5.2

iTunes 10.2.2.

and experiencing the same thing with:

Pandora

Pulsar

etc.

May 14, 2011 1:58 AM in response to ascain

I have same issue. I have all music stored on a Network Attached Server (NAS) and I can upload new music to this location fine over my wireless network. I can also edit information about each song within iTunes, although I have to put up with a spinning beachball sometimes while iTunes is having a think.

I never had drops before, but now the audio cuts out even though the track is still playing - as seen from the progress bar in iTunes. So some information is being streamed but sadly not the audio portion - reliably at least. And the Aiprot signal is strong.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it: bought downloads, files ripped from personal CDs or my mp3 rips from vinyl. Whatever the type of file, Airplay has an intermittent problem. In fact it's not just intermittent (cutting out at regualr times such as the end of each track). It's RANDOMLY intermittent. Sometimes you get a whole track without trouble, other times it drops every 3, or 10 , or 60 seconds.

It's like Apple have introduced a roulette plug-in to Airplay. Fun, huh?

It's incredibly frustrating given that a) I had no such issue with Airtunes on previous computers b) I just bought a new Macbook Pro and c) Apple market this functionality to consumers as part of a home entertainment set-up, and that's not really happening for me right now. My set-up is effectively useless and my chance to impress dinner party guests has been blown (kidding).

At first I thought it might be a hardware issue with the Airport receiver inside my new Macbook Pro but that doesn't stack up: I have no other issues using my wireless network on the new laptop - as I say organizing music within iTunes or doing anything else wirelessly such as streaming from YouTube, works fine.

I do hope someone from Apple is listening because I think Airplay requires a patch. That's my hunch.

Macbook Pro 13" Intel Core 2.3 gig i5

OS X 10.6.7

iTunes 10.2.2

Airport Express 802.11n v 7.5.2

NAS: Western Digital NetCenter

May 26, 2011 8:02 AM in response to ascain

Has anyone solved this issue? I realize that everyone is having the same issue, but this is quite annoying. I bought an Apple TV (2nd generation) to create a whole house audio solution. The problem is, every x-amount of songs I have to hit the "back" button on the song to restart it to actually hear the music. The sound doesn't just stop coming from the airplay device, but also from the laptop running iTunes. This needs to be fixed and fixed soon!

AirPlay music streaming stops between songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.