Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

24 hour time

What happened to the 24 hour option for times in iCal? It disappeared a few weeks ago, perhaps when I updated to let MobleMe sinc my calendar? It used to be in the pref panels. I can't find it there now.

I find it impossible to believe Apple would remove such a basic function. I think my brain is missing a cog or two.

Geoff

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 5:51 PM

5 replies

Dec 27, 2010 8:01 PM in response to Geoff K

This is confusing. Ferd, as I read your answer I recall seeing it before and I recall having a similar problem before. It couldn't have been the same problem, though, because that time it was fixed. Now...

When I go the System Preferences...>Language & Text>Formats> I find my region at United States. There is another region called United States (computer). I changed to that with no apparent difference. However, there is no option for 24 hr. time format in either region. Clicking customize in the Times frame gives me a strange looking box with various time formats but none in 24 hr. The numbers have choice triangles but the choices make no sense at all. e.g. the choices for the hour "7" are; 1-12, 01-12, 0-23, 00-23, 0-11, 00-11, 1-24, and finally 01-24. I can get the 24 hour time by choosing one of the 23 or 24 containing choices. But what is all the other gibberish? The MobileMe calendar was set for 24 hour time but it gives the wrong times, afternoon times off by two hours... like the other calendars are sending it 12 hr time and it's half accepting it.

Now another weird thing; When I changed the hour to 01-24 the times in the calendar switched to 24 hour times. The clock in the upper right corner had been on 24hr time and now is on 12 hour time.

This is most confusing. Surely there's just one simple little step that I'm too dumb to see. Please tell me it is so.

Geoff

Dec 27, 2010 8:23 PM in response to Geoff K

Geoff,
I recall seeing it before and I recall having a similar problem before.

System updates have been known to involuntarily change my preferences.
When I go the System Preferences...>Language & Text>Formats> I find my region at United States. There is another region called United States (computer).

I have mine set to "Custom."
Clicking customize in the Times frame gives me a strange looking box with various time formats but none in 24 hr.

Try this...I use 00-23 on my iMac. My "Times Customize...) settings look like this:
User uploaded file
That should also take care of the time that you see in the menu bar.

User uploaded file

Dec 28, 2010 8:48 AM in response to Ferd II

I think you've solved it. At least for right now all looks good. I've had preferences change before; perhaps it's the same system updates you mention. I wonder why Apple can't just have a box to click for 24 hour time rather than the gobbldygook that's there now. It reminds me of the hassles I had when I was working with Windows.

Thanks for your help.

Geoff

24 hour time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.