Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlocked iPhones from Singapore

I am posted in Singapore, and my daughter is going to school in the USA. She visits me overseas often, and now needs a new phone. I was thinking this is a good time to get an iPhone for her. Here in Singapore, iPhones are completely unlocked even at the official Apple stores - as Singapore law prevents any phone from being locked to one carrier.

Question: Should I buy an iPhone here in Singapore, so she can use it with any carrier, or get a package in the USA. The prices here are triple the US prices.

Peter

PowerMac G4, duel 867, iBook G4, 24" iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.7), Mac user since 1988!

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 8:05 PM

2 replies

Dec 28, 2010 1:43 AM in response to Clownfish

Every iPhone bought in the US is locked, permanently, to AT&T, and so cannot be used in any other country (unless you fancy paying roaming fees).

The reason you believe the US iPhone is three times cheaper is because the phone is subsidised by AT&T in return for submitting the owner to a two year contract. What you pay for an unlocked phone in Singapore is the true price, as you are not receiving such a subsidy. Buy the iPhone in Singapore and you will be able to switch SIM cards all over the world whenever you like.

Message was edited by: tonefox

Dec 28, 2010 2:23 AM in response to Clownfish

The only downside to purchasing an iPhone in Singapore for your daughter to use in the US is the warranty. Warranty & support for the iPhone, in your case, will only be provided in Singapore. Thus, if she were to have a problem with the phone, it would have to be returned to Singapore for warranty & support. Since she visits you often, you should be able to handle this easily. If you do purchase the phone in Singapore, your daughter will also be able to use it while visiting you.

Unlocked iPhones from Singapore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.