Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot access certain websites on any web browser

Recently, for the last month or two, my mac won't let me look at certain websites. (i.e apple.com, hulu.com, some yahoo.com sites.) Cannot find a solution on any forums yet that work for me. The internet works fine on the other computers in the house and I can access those sites with no problems. I have snow leopard on my Macmini, and I tried reinstalling it and the websites worked ONE time, then if I closed the browser the sites would come up with the error, cannot connect to the internet. Or in the case of the Hulu site, show text only with no formatting. I also tried reinstalling Java, and it did the same thing, would let me see the website once and then not again. Not sure what else I can try. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there some update i have not installed yet that does not come up in my updates? Thanks for all help.

First Gen. MacMini, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 28, 2010 6:23 AM

31 replies

Mar 3, 2011 6:07 PM in response to EntoK

Same for me, started with Facebook on all browsers (FF, Chrome, Safari)a month or two from now, and today twitter and this very support.apple.com + some software like ClamXav cannot connect anymore to update their database, etc.
In VirtualBox with Ubuntu and VMWare Fusion Win XP : both with FF, same problem, same websites / IP

_It is neither the router nor the DNS_ since my wife's computer works fine on the same network with all those websites and apps (PowerPC 10.5.8)
_It is not the firewall either_ on or off, it does not change a thing.

So far, I managed to make it all work (even apps like ClamXav) by using Vidalia TOR + Tor add-on on FF || Tor Browser (Safari under Namaroka) works great too.
Tor makes browsing a little bit slower and anonymity can have its drawbacks, so it is not a long-term solution.

So for those in need of a quick access to their websites :
www.torproject.org > Download > Tor Browser Bundle for OS X Intel

Now, why is that it works with Tor and not without ?
What to do to solve the situation ?

TIA for any help !
--
Jc.

Mar 15, 2011 11:48 AM in response to EntoK

I am having the exact same issues with Apple.com and Twitter.com. Changing DNS to Google's or OpenDNS fixes issues with Apple.com (although I'm still not sure why the problem started in the first place with my ISP's DNS), but I still cannot access Twitter from ANY browser. Changing DNS does not fix the problem. The guy at the Apple store told me to reinstall my OS, which I did and that did not help. This is very annoying.

Mar 16, 2011 4:05 PM in response to JcDenaes

After disabling all filters in peergaurdian I am able to access twitter.com and apple.com, etc. So it appears that PG is the issue. I didn't think it was because PG was not running, and I have a script that runs during bootup to kill all PG associated processes running in the background. But still it was preventing these sites from loading (woot.com was another one I discovered today). So I suppose uninstalling PG is the best solution, unless someone knows how to add exceptions....?

Cannot access certain websites on any web browser

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.