Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will AirPrint work over a hotspot?

I am setting up a new iPad with 4.2 and will buy an HP E Printer if I can get it to work through a 3g hotspot. My question is: will the AirPrint function work on the new HP E Printer if there is no WiFi network only the 3g hotspot? It's confusing because the Ipad recognizes the hotspot as Wifi.

Ipad, iOS 4

Posted on Dec 28, 2010 9:29 AM

5 replies

Dec 28, 2010 9:58 AM in response to BBrand

BBrand-

I think that is what a hotspot is: a WiFi router that has an internet connection. A 3G hotspot would use the 3G cellular system for internet access.

If you have the 3G iPad, you don't need the hotspot to access the internet, but you can use it to connect to a printer. The printer would be set up to use the same WiFi system as the iPad.

If you do have a 3G iPad, you can eliminate the hotspot and print directly to an AirPrint printer set up for "ad hoc" WiFi mode. Sometimes this is necessary if the hotspot does not support Bonjour used by the AirPrint system.

Fred

Dec 29, 2010 10:53 AM in response to BBrand

BBrand,

As has been pointed out, your 3G hotspot actually creates a WiFi network for the Printer and iPad to join. The Printer has no problem using a 3G hotspot to connect to the internet with. As long as both the Printer and iPad are on the same WiFi network, AirPrint will work just fine. If you take the iPad away (but not the 3G hotspot) you can still send jobs to the Printer via ePrint (the E part of the Printer). If you take both the hotspot and iPad away, you can still submit jobs via ePrint, but they will not print out on the Printer until the hotspot returns. Hope this answers your question.

Just trying to help.

Andrew

Will AirPrint work over a hotspot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.