Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lidwake Set to 0 Has No Effect - Why?

I prefer to set the lidwake setting (via terminal pmset command) to zero so that my Apple portables don't wake up when the lid is raised. In the past, that was just an extra measure of security to keep Powerbooks and MacBooks from accidentally waking when stowed inside a carrying case.

However, doing this seems to make no difference on my MacBook Air. It wakes up when the lid is raised. Following is a list of pmset variables (pmset -g):

Battery Power -1
AC Power -1*
Currently in use:
womp 0
deepsleepdelay 4200
halfdim 0
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
disksleep 10
sleep 30
hibernatemode 0
displaysleep 10
ttyskeepawake 1
deepsleep 1
acwake 0
lidwake 0

You may notice that the hibernate mode is set to zero. That is intentional. I never leave my computer asleep more than a few hours. I don't want it to go into deep sleep where the RAM contents are written to the SSD because it's unnecessary and having 4 gigs of RAM written to SSD with every hibernation can't help the longevity of the SSD. I know that some people feel otherwise, but that's what I do. It also means I really do have instant wake from sleep because the RAM contents have been preserved at the expense of just a bit of the battery.

But back to the lidwake problem. With a lidwake setting of zero, why does my MBA wake up when the lid is raised? I reset the SMC and PRAM.

Thanks.

MacBook Air Late 2010, 13" 4GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 28, 2010 2:42 PM

2 replies

Jan 16, 2011 6:56 AM in response to Scott Newman

I'll chime in that I don't know why lidwake has no effect, but also, if you leave your computer sleeping for over 70 minutes, it will still write RAM contents to disk and shut down because deepsleep is still on. On the Air, I don't believe it ever actually "hibernates" or does "safe sleep" because of the deepsleep functionality.

Lidwake Set to 0 Has No Effect - Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.