Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing a USB Printer

I've a HP PSC 1610 USB printer connected to a B&W G3 running Mac OS 9.2.2. Is it possible to share it with my iBook G4 running Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11 via Airport? Thanks for any info

G3 400 BW/ 1 GB RAM/ 120GB HD/ DVR-111D/ ATI Radeon 9200/ Tempo Trio 133, Mac OS X (10.4.11), iBook G4 1.33 GHz/ 1,25 GB RAM/ 320 GB HD/ 400 GB HD FW/ Mac OS X 10.4.11

Posted on Dec 28, 2010 8:45 PM

2 replies

Dec 29, 2010 11:47 AM in response to nOmada

No, but yes.

Printer Sharing under OS 9 was on a case-by-case basis. The driver had to support the Sharing.

You could easily share it FROM your Mac OS X Mac, which would make it available to your OS 9 Mac. I realize that may not be the way you wanted to do this.

The OS 9 stuff that makes this work is Desktop Printing. This feature creates a printer Queue in OS 9, that forwards to a shared or network printer elsewhere on your Network.

Dec 30, 2010 6:30 PM in response to nOmada

There may be a way...

I found this in OS 9 Mac Help:

Sharing a USB printer
If your computer is connected to a TCP/IP network, you can
• let other Macintosh computers on the network print on a USB printer connected to your computer
• print on a USB printer connected to another Macintosh on the network

Sharing your printer

To share a USB printer connected to your computer:
• Open the USB Printer Sharing control panel, check the Start/Stop tab to make sure sharing is on, then click the Share checkbox next to the printer's name on the My Printers tab.

Tip: Drag your shared printer from the My Printers tab and drop it on your desktop to create an Internet location file that you can send to people. To preselect your printer, they drag the file to the Network Printers tab in their USB Printer Sharing control panel.

Your printer is listed in a network neighborhood that has the same name as the first domain listed in the Search domains or Additional Search domains field in your TCP/IP control panel. If the field is empty, your printers are listed in a neighborhood named "Local Services."

To list your printer in a particular network neighborhood:
• Enter the neighborhood name as the first domain name in the Search domains or Additional Search domains field of the TCP/IP control panel.

Sharing a USB Printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.